Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

6 AND 10 BRIGHTON STREETLB28351

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/07/1986
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25822 73261
Coordinates
325822, 673261

Description

Circa 1821. 5-storey, 10-bay (arranged 4 and 6) plain, classical tenement. Ashlar, polished at ground, droved above; rubble to end and rear elevations. Base course; band course between ground and 1st floor, eaves cornice; stone cills. Round arched door surround to No10. Timber panelled doors with fanlights.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Double pitch roof, grey slates. Straight skews. Corniced ridge stacks, rendered end stack, cylindrical clay cans.

Statement of Special Interest

Well-proportioned early 19th century tenements with good stone detailing and forming an integral part of the early formal town planning, part of the development of the Southside following the demolition of the Trades Maiden Hospital on Bristo Place. The planned street triangle of Forrest Road, Bristo Place and Teviot Row was conceived as part of Thomas Hamilton's (1784-1858) vision for the new Southern Approach Road linking Princes Street to George Square and the Meadows (via the Mound, Bank Street and a the new George IV Bridge). The City Improvement Act brought in by Lord Provost Chambers in 1867 was to implement better housing standards and to replace the medieval slum areas in Edinburgh's Old Town. The groups of Baronial style tenement blocks on Forest Road and Teviot Place were built as a direct result of this development phase.

These buildings first appear in John Wood's map of Edinburgh, dated 1823. Brighton Street was constructed in the rear garden grounds of the former Trades Maiden Hospital, which relocated to Lauriston in 1818. James Kirkwood's map of 1821 indicates the buildings were under construction along the then titled Anderson Street.

A fragment of the Congregational Chapel of 1827 (now demolished) adjoins to the north east corner.

(List description updated at re-survey 2011-12.)

References

Bibliography

appears on J Wood, Plan of Edinburgh (1823). J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1984) p221.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 6 AND 10 BRIGHTON STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/11/2019 07:18