Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

RUINS OF OLD HOUSE OF FETTERNEARLB2835

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/04/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
01/03/2021
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Chapel Of Garioch
NGR
NJ 72335 17097
Coordinates
372335, 817097

Description

Roofless, burnt 1919. Oldest part 3-storey tower house 20' x

36' with circular S.W. angle tower, containing stair, ground

floor vaulted, vault partly removed later, built late 16th

century for John Leslie 8th Baron Balquhain. Made part of

large near-symmetrical mansion 1691-3 for Count Patrick

Leslie, 3-storey, 6-window with circular angle towers (that

on E belonging to original house) with 1-window W. wing to

balance the original tower house. Small ground floor

openings, large openings grooved for glass 1st and 2nd, fine

1693 armorial panel over centre door and IHS-MRA/POL/MOI/1691

above. Reconstructed early 19th century, towers raised,

corbelled and crenellated parapets added to towers and main

block, centre N. wing gutted and now staircase inserted,

James Massie architect; 2-storey wing with bow on E. added N.

of staircase, dated 1818; W. wing and cross wing 2-storey

added c. 1850.

Statement of Special Interest

Of the palace built by Bishop Ramsay in 1226 and extended by

Bishop Kynimund in 1330 there are virtually no remains. The

estate was in possession of the bishops until 1550 when a

lease (converted 16 years later to a gift) was granted to

John Leslie 8th Baron Balquhain. The sundial now stands in

the garden of the new house formed laundry), copper dial by

James Villers 1798 on granite baluster.

References

Bibliography

N.S.A. v. XII p. 572, 582. Hednerson Epitaphs and

Inscriptions. Col. Charles Leslie, Historical Records of the

Family of Leslie.

Davidson, Inverurie and the Earldom of Garioch p. 398

G.M. Fraser in aberdeen Weekly Journal April 19 1918. Notes

by H. Gordon Slade MoPBW London. G.M. Fraser's note books

unfortunately do not give his source. The N. wing cannot be

his work as he died in 1816. But the information is doubtless

correct as Massie was a Catholic like his clients. There was

formerly a forecourt comprising stables, office, houses and

side wings destroyed in 1775; the top floor had sculptured

dormer heads and the E. tower was corbelled to the square at

the top stage.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to RUINS OF OLD HOUSE OF FETTERNEAR

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/12/2022 10:33