Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

63-67 (ODD NOS) BLACKFRIARS STREET, LODGE OF JOURNEYMEN MASONSLB28328

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
11/01/1989
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26066 73546
Coordinates
326066, 673546

Description

Andrew Kerr, dated 1870. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay Masonic Lodge with Scots Renaissance detailing, situated on sloping site with commercial premises to ground. Bull-faced ashlar with polished dressings and ground floor level. Moulded string course above and cill course at attic level.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Principal entrance to left with roll-moulded architrave. Above, masonic crest and inscribed panel flanked by corbelled blocks incorporated into string course and surmounted by pedestalled globes. Leaded and coloured glass windows with diamond-pattern at 1st floor. Corbelled-out rectangular oriel with thistle finials in crowstepped wall-head gable with wall-head stack above left. Pair of pedimented dormer heads with Masonic symbols and star and moon finials breaking eaves to left. Pair of 2-leaf panelled timber doors to ground.

6-pane glazing pattern to timber sash and case windows at attic level. Fixed multi-pane glazing to ground floor with curvilinear timber detailing to upper panes. Graded, grey Scottish slate. Broad end stack. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

Nos 63-67 Blackfriars Street is an interesting example of late Victorian Masonic Lodge design making effective use of Scots Rennaissance revival details. Surviving largely intact externally, of particular note are the oriel window, the patterned glazing at 1st floor and the elaborately moulded entrance, adding considerable streetscape interest to the lower end of Blackfriars Street. Above the doorway is the inscription 'In The Lord Is All Our Trust' with the panel below reading 'Lodge Journemen Masons No 8. Rebuilt 1870. Thomas Field R.W.M. And Govenor Of The Trades'. A further inscribed plaque to the far right of the building reads 'Erected upon the site of Calledar House or Cardinal Beaton's Palace 1871'. The Lodge of Journeymen Masons was founded in 1578. The previous lodge was demolished in 1867 as part of the Edinburgh Improvement Act. The architect, Andrew Kerr, was employed with H M Office of Works and a prominent Freemason. He also designed the 1880 vestry extension and organ chamber at Roslin chapel in Midlothian.

Throughout the 19th Century the Old Towns' prosperity declined as large sections of the nobility and middle classes moved out of the area in favour of the grandeur and improved facilities of Edinburgh's New Town.. The Improvement Act of 1867 made efforts to address this, responding early on with large-scale slum clearance and redevelopment of entire street frontages. Formerly known as Blackfriars Wynd, the E side was demolished in 1867 under the Improvement Act, the roadway widened and subsequently renamed. The Wynd was one of the key thoroughfares in the Old Town and contained a number of grand mansions including the aforemention Cardinal Beaton's Palace.

Part of a B-Group comprising 1-67 (Odd Nos) Blackfriars Street (see separate listings). List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward Resurvey (2007/08).

References

Bibliography

John Gifford et al, Buildings of Scotland - Edinburgh, (1991) p221; Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 10.05.2007)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 63-67 (ODD NOS) BLACKFRIARS STREET, LODGE OF JOURNEYMEN MASONS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 21:55