Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 26786 72237
326786, 672237


Circa 1851. 2-storey symmetrical 6-bay rectangular-plan classical pair of houses. Polished sandstone ashlar, channelled at ground; stugged masonry to sides and rear. Base course; cornice; blocking course; architraved windows to 1st floor.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: doorcases in bays to outer left and right with fluted Greek Doric columns supporting entablature; pilasters behind; timber panelled doors; geometric glazing pattern to fanlights; single windows above and to both floors of intermediate bays. Adjoining single storey wings to E and W, the latter adapted to garage use.

12-paned timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof with corniced wallhead and mutual stacks.

INTERIOR: not seen 1996.

BOUNDARY WALLS: low coped boundary wall with remains of railings to street, bootscraper for No 6; coped rubble mutual boundary wall with

No 4; low coped mutual boundary wall with No 10.

Statement of Special Interest

Built speculatively by the Edinburgh builders J W and A G Fowler and sold to Mr Thomas Cooper, a merchant and butter factor. Dr Benjamin Bell of Hunthill, an eminent Edinburgh surgeon and farmer, had earlier identified the potential for development of the lands of Newington. In 1806, aware of the demand for countrified dwellings near the city, he advertised his intention to sell 58 plots of land within his 8.5 acres. On his death in the same year his son George Bell, also a surgeon, inherited the land and, in 1825, commissioned James Gillespie Graham to design a plan for new streets within the grounds of Newington House, bounded by the back garden walls of Minto Street, Salisbury Road, East Mayfield and Dalkeith Road. Feus were offered for sale and Blacket Place began to take shape, other houses possibly being built speculatively in the manner of No 8. Security was an important feature of the development, with Gothic gates, the octagonal piers of which survive, locked at night and single storey lodges at the entrances from Minto Street and Dalkeith Road.



The Blacket Association and Edinburgh Corporation Town Planning Department BLACKET CONSERVATION: AN ADVENTURE TRAIL (NMRS); William Akerman A REPORT ON A BUILDING: NUMBER EIGHT BLACKET PLACE, EDINBURGH (MA Hons dissertation - NMRS); NMRS photographs of interior

(Nos 76755-99). Appears on Lancefield's 1851 Survey Map.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 6 AND 8 BLACKET PLACE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/09/2022 03:27