Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

PITCAPLE CASTLELB2830

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
16/04/1971
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Chapel Of Garioch
NGR
NJ 72730 26084
Coordinates
372730, 826084

Description

Tower house late 15th century originally with open parapet, reconstructed as Z-plan house with round angle towers and

S.E. angle turret early 17th century 4-storey with 5-storey

towers entrance in S.W. stair tower, harled and crow-stepped.

2-storey S.W. addition with new entrance porch and turret in

angle, William Burn for Hugh Lumsden 1830, angle turret

raised and some original ground floor openings blocked

(recently re-opened) same date. Further additions and service

court, red granite Corinthian columns in hall at stair

Duncan MacMillan 1870.

Statement of Special Interest

For original house only. The Burn and MacMillan interior work

is of good quality but Burn's exterior has been spoiled by

the original glazing on the south and west sides. The

icehouse has collapsed. The Castle was originally built by the

Leslies, granted the lands 1457. Queen Mary stayed here 1562;

HQ of Marquis of Huntly 1639. Montrose and Charles II lodged

here 1644; estate passed to Jane Lumsden (nee Leslie) 1757.

References

Bibliography

N.S.A. v. XII, p 564, 572, 582

C. & D. Arch v. IV 60, il. after Hulmandell prior to 1830

alterations. Henderson, Epitaphs & Inscriptions p. 279, 286

Davidson, Inverurie & the Earldom of Garioch p 417 etc. Plans

at house. Survey plans by James Matthews; Duncan MacMillan

n.d. several proposals including entrance tower in front of

Burn's porch, fortunately not executed. (copies in N.M.R)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PITCAPLE CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/07/2019 13:07