Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 24468 73477
324468, 673477


Thomas Bonnar, 1824-25. 3-storey, basement and attic, 64-bay classical palace block forming crescent. Droved sandstone ashlar at basement, polished V-jointed sandstone ashlar rustication at principal floor (painted at SW terminal pavilion), polished sandstone ashlar with polished dressings at 1st and 2nd floors. Base course to principal floor; band course between principal and 1st floors; iron trellis balconies to 1st floor; cill course to 2nd floor windows, band course incorporating string course above 2nd floor windows; cornice and coped blocking course to 3rd floor; stone balustrade at roof of central 9-bay pavilion. Ionic porticos to ground, with pilasters behind supporting columns; giant Ionic pilasters to 1st and 2nd floors, central and terminal pavilions; architraves to 1st floor windows of remaining bays, corniced to 3 central bays; dormer windows breaking mansard roof; entrance platts oversailing basement, with ashlar steps at SW end.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 59-bay concave central block flanked by 2-bay terminal pavilion to NE and 3-bay terminal pavilion to SW.

NE terminal pavilion: windows to both bays, all floors; giant rusticated pilaster at 1st and 2nd floors to outer left; pilasters flank 1st and 2nd floor windows of bay to right. Main (curved) block: portico to penultimate bay to left at ground floor, and to doorways of 9-bay central pavilion; recessed timber doors with plate glass fanlights; giant Ionic pilasters to 1st and 2nd floors to 4 outer bays at each end and central pavilion; continuous balconies at 1st floor to pilastered bays, balconies in 3-bay sections to remaining bays; individual iron balustrades to 2nd floor windows of 6 bays at left of central pavilion; regular fenestration. SW terminal pavilion: portico to bay to left at ground floor; regular fenestration to bays to right and to upper floors; corniced panel at wallhead to outer right.

NE (CANNING STREET) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; single window to centre to ground floor, bipartite windows to centre of 1st and 2nd floors flanked to left by single window, pair of windows to upper floor; variety of infilled openings. Blind pointed-arched openings to 1st floor of left return. 20th century addition to outer left.

SE (ATHOLL CRESCENT LANE) ELEVATION: predominantly regular fenestration; variety of additions and alterations, some linking mews blocks (see below).

SW (ATHOLL CRESCENT LANE) ELEVATION: window to centre of ground floor, band of 4 modern window openings to right. Single window to centre of 1st floor, flanked by small openings to right; window to centre of upper floor flanked to left and right by small openings. Single storey harled addition to outer right.

2, 12, 15 and 16-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate mansard roof with variety of dormers, principally modern box. Coped skew at NE end. Coped and rendered stacks with moulded cylindrical cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIORS: not seen 2000.

RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDS: iron railings, majority fleur-de-lys design, to street and entrance platts; original railing-mounted iron lamp standards with glass globes and drum wells to street at NE end.


9, 10, 13, 15, 18 AND 20 ATHOLL CRESCENT LANE: predominantly 2-storey mews buildings, rubble and ashlar. 20 Atholl Cresent Lane: 2-storey, 3-bay. Sandstone ashlar to N. Eaves blocking course.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Bordering the principal approach to the city from the west, Atholl Crescent, the design of the Heriot Trust's own architect, Thomas Bonnar, forms a grand prelude to the streets of Craig's plan. The NE end had a bay removed in 1912 (for improved access to Rutland Square), with the result that its porch was moved, firstly to No 5 (by H Ramsay Taylor) for the College of Domestic Science, and again in the 1980s (by Robert Hurd & Partners).



PLAN OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH, INCLUDING ALL THE LATEST AND INTENDED IMPROVEMENTS, circa 1827; 1853 and 1877 OS MAPS; J Grant, CASSELL'S OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH, Vol 2, p209; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p361 and 370; A J Youngson, THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (Edinburgh University Press, 1966) p215.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-22 (INCLUSIVE NOS) ATHOLL CRESCENT, INCLUDING RAILINGS, LAMP STANDARDS AND 9, 10, 13, 15, 18 AND 20 ATHOLL CRESCENT LANE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/09/2020 09:43