There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 25/02/1965
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 24368 74403
- Coordinates: 324368, 674403
Probably James Milne, 1816-27, with some later additions to attic. Extensive symmetrical terrace of 2-storey, 3-bay and basement classical townhouses with slightly advanced pedimented and pilastered 3-storey 6-bay centre, flanked by tall 2-storey 3-bay townhouses; prominent gardens fronting street. Sandstone ashlar, coursed squared rubble with ashlar rybats at basement, rusticated ashlar at ground floor of 3-storey block. Entrance platts oversailing basement area recess to garden. Banded base course and narrow banded cill course at ground floor; deep banded cill course at 1st floor incorporating fluted aprons to 1st floor windows; corniced eaves course. Moulded architraved, bracketed and corniced doorways; rectangular fanlights with geometric glazing pattern. Some later rectangular tile hung dormers.
NOS. 26-32 (CENTRE SECTION) pedimented 3-storey 6-bay centre flanked by slightly recessed tall 2-storey 3-bay townhouses. Ionic heptastyle pilasters spanning 1st and 2nd floors, interrupting narrow banded cill course at second floor. Banded eaves course with triangular pediment above; block finial to apex. Paired porches to centre with paired fluted Greek Doric columns, cornice and blocking course with decorative cast-iron railings above. Cast-iron balconies at 1st floor windows. Moulded architraved windows at 1st floor of flanking townhouses; cast-iron balconies at 1st floor of No. 32.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: coursed rubble with tooled ashlar rybats, cills and lintels. Regular fenestration. Some cast iron balconies at 2nd floor.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows; 6- over 9-pane at 1st floor of 3-storey block. Pitched roof with some piended gables; grey slates. Corniced ashlar ridge stacks with some clay cans. Cast-iron rain-water goods. Low broached ashlar wall with droved copes and gate rybats edging gardens to street, topped with cast-iron railings incorporating decorative cast-iron lamp standards with large bowl shades.
INTERIOR: (selection of interiors seen 2010) decorative classical scheme, characterised by intricate plasterwork and large drawing rooms. Stone stairs with well-detailed cast iron balustrade and timber handrail, topped by large cupolas with decorative plasterwork beneath. Large ground and 1st floor drawing rooms to front with decorative cornicing, some ceiling roses, some marble fireplaces. Corniced throughout, less elaborate to upper floors and basement. Working window shutters.
Statement of Special Interest
16-42 Ann Street is an outstanding example of early 19th century urban planning with a classically designed scheme by prominent architect James Milne. The design is well proportioned, with simple classical detailing including the use of Greek sources for the prominent centrepiece with Greek Doric columns and Ionic pilasters. Some interiors are little altered, retaining their well-detailed decorative classical scheme. The terrace was designed as a key part of the development of the land of Sir Henry Raeburn and the design exploits a prominent site at the top of the steep slope up from Stockbridge. It is an integral part of Edinburgh's New Town, which is an outstanding example of classical urban planning that was influential throughout Britain and Europe. Although Milne is not named as the architect in the sasines for Ann Street, but he is known to have been working elsewhere on the Raeburn estate at Upper Dean Terrace (see separate listing), and was the first resident of 17 Ann Street. The use of street fronting gardens in this design is early and unusual, echoing Milne's work at both Upper Dean Terrace and Lynedoch Place (see separate listings).
Henry Raeburn was born in Stockbridge and acquired the house and grounds of Deanhaugh through marriage, before adding adjacent land at St Bernard's. He occupied St Bernard¿s House until his death in 1823 when it was demolished to accommodate the growing residential development of the estate, making space for the eastern side of Carlton Street. The authorship of James Milne for the whole development is not certain, but the elevations for the principal streets bear the characteristic features of his designs elsewhere, such as Lynedoch Place (see separate listing) where the street fronting gardens found on Ann Street are also used. The design of Ann Street was originally intended to be replicated elsewhere in Raeburn's development, with three similar parallel streets, but this plan was later revised to the current layout sometime after 1814.
James Milne was an architect and mason working in Edinburgh between 1809 and 1834 (when he moved to Newcastle). His other works in Edinburgh also include Lynedoch Place and Saxe-Coburg Place (see separate listings). Milne was also the author of The Elements of Architecture only the 1st volume of which was published in Edinburgh in 1812.
(List description updated at re-survey 2012).
Robert Kirkwood, Plan and Elevation of the New Town of Edinburgh (1819)., Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1849 - 53). Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1893-4). A Kerr, A History of Ann Street (1982). J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p405. A J Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh (1988) pp271-2. Richard Roger, The Transformation of Edinburgh: Land, Property and Trust in the Nineteenth Century (2004) p248.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.