Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BARRA CASTLELB2821

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
16/04/1971
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Bourtie
NGR
NJ 79223 25756
Coordinates
379223, 825756

Description

Dated 1614/18, N. wing 1753. 3-storey courtyard plan of

unusual type. W. wing of traditional L-plan pattern with

circular tower S.W. angle, curve of stair in jamb expressed

as a semi-circular tower corbelled to square at S, S.E. wing

with circular angle tower, pinned boulder rubble. Main gables crowstepped. N. wing simple 3-storey coursed rubble with

straight skews. Low courtyard wall on E. square-headed

doorway, later urns, water spout from courtyard to kitchen.

Interior: Drawing room with panelling replaced to original

design, G. Bennet Mitchell, 1910-11, large chimneypiece with

slightly later one inserted within it; early - mid 18th

century panelling in 1st floor bedroom S.E. wing, good stair

of similar type to Bourtie and panelled sitting room in N.

wing of 1753.

Statement of Special Interest

Originally a seat of the Blackhalls and the Kings. Forfeited

1590, to the Setons of Meldrum 1598. Sold 1630 to James Reid,

and then in 1753 to John Ramsay of Melross and Leithers.

References

Bibliography

O.S.A. v. IX p. 436 C. & D. Arch, v. II p. 399. Country Life,

Nov. 23 1912 p. 710 and Aug. 22 1963 p. 424. Giles, Castles

of Aberdeenshire LIII (W. Douglas Simpson gives 1614-18).

Scottish Field March 1961 p. 36 Forman, Scottish Country

Houses and Castles, p. 138 (1593-1614). Dunbar Historic

Architecture of Scotland p. 72. Cruden, Scottish Castles p.

159. Jervise p. 76 Temple, Thanage of Fermartyn p. 279. A.

Morrison, The Blackhalls of that Ilk and Barra.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BARRA CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 17:30