Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

2A Dean Path (Former West Mill), EdinburghLB28206

Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Last Date Amended
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 24112 73957
324112, 673957


Dated 1805 and 1806, later conversion to residential dwellings, 1973 by Philip Cocker and Partners. Four- and five-storey former mill building composed of two offset rectangular-plan blocks with feature roundel windows, set into riverbank with basements storeys to Water of Leith at south elevation. Coursed random rubble with some droved ashlar quoins, cills lintels and rybats.

West (Dean Path) Elevation: pair of three-bay gable ends, advanced to right (south) with single bay in re-entrant angle. Roughly regular fenestration, with roundel windows to gable head; further roundel windows at ground, first and second floors to south block with decorative carved wheatsheaf roundel panel at third floor, dated 1805-1806.

North (West Mill Lane) Elevation: five storeys, six bays. Regular fenestration composed of rectangular windows in plain surrounds.

South (Water of Leith) Elevation: five storeys with twin sluice arched basement to river; roughly six bays. Regular fenestration with blind roundels to centre; later roof-lights.

East Elevation: similar to west elevation, but gable to right (north) break-fronted with advanced terminal bay to far right (north). Roughly regular fenestration.

Predominantly plate glass pivoting windows, with some later roof-lights. Pitched roof; grey slates. Coped gablehead stacks. Cast iron rainwater goods.

Interior converted to residential apartments in 1973.

Statement of Special Interest

West Mill is a large former mill building situated at the heart of the Dean Village and on a site occupied by mills since the 1573. The mill is one of few surviving examples in the Dean Village of its former industrial heritage, particularly based on grain milling, many of which utilised power provided by the Water of Leith.

The mills, including those on the site of West Mill, were originally owned by the City of Edinburgh before being sold to the Baxter's Incorporation in 1734-5. The Incorporation rebuilt a number of the mills in the area, including West Mill in 1805-6. Their symbol of a wheatsheaf is included, along with the date, in a carved roundel panel to the west (Dean Path) elevation. The roundel panel also records the names of the Deacon and other officers of the Incorporation at the time that West Mill was built. The interior was originally composed of timber floors on cast-iron columns. The two breastshot wheels, 18 feet in diameter and 12 feet wide were dismantled in 1937.

The mill had been closed by the City of Edinburgh Council in 1891, following their purchase of the site, as part of a programme to clean up the river. The buildings were used briefly as a warehouse before being converted to residential flats and remodelled internally by Philip Cocker and Partners in 1972 -3.

List description revised as part of resurvey in 2009. Statutory address revised in 2021. Previously listed as '24 Dean Path and West Mill Lane, West Mill'.



Ordnance Survey (1849 - 53) Large Scale Town Plan.

Gifford, J., McWilliam, C and Walker, D M (1988) The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh. p. 386.

National Record of the Historic Environment (1973) Plan and section, Ref: IGL W399/4.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2A Dean Path (Former West Mill), Edinburgh

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/06/2023 09:42