Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

9 LOANING ROAD, CRAIGENTINNY HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS WITH PAVILION END, GATEPIERS AND GARDEN HOUSESLB28047

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 28516 74711
Coordinates
328516, 674711

Description

16th and 17th century, alterations and additions circa 1850 David Rhind. 4-storey asymmetrical laird's house with turrets and gablets. Rubble with freestone dressings.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central bays with 3 small windows at ground floor, plain doorway to right of middle bay, 3 large window at 1st floor, 2 smaller at 2nd floor to right, 2 smaller at 3rd floor with crowstepped gablets to right. Corbelled chimney to left of middle bay rising through 1st floor to shouldered stack above eaves. Round turret corbelled out at 1st floor in re-entrant angle of advanced outer bays to left. Projecting freestone guttering with gargoyles at eaves of central section. Heavily buttressed corner to E rising to square bartizan (circa 1850) with crowstepped gable, square window cable mouldings to window margins and corbels. Small slit window at 2nd floor. Bays to W advanced, recessed door to right with ashlar surround, sash windows at 1st floor, small window at 3rd floor, central window at ground floor, small windows to left at intermediate levels denoting stair tower. Small windows at 1st to 3rd floors on E facing flank.

W ELEVATION: gable end advanced from stair tower. Vestigial crowstepps forming hips if large chimney stack, flanked by corbelled turrets with conical slate roofs and finials. 3 windows to each turret, 4 varied and irregularly disposed windows, 2 small slit windows to gable end.

1 small, 2 larger windows to W face of stair tower. Circular abbreviated tower, crowstep gables, corbelled skewputts, window and small slit window in re-entrant angle of stair tower at ground and 1st floor levels.

N ELEVATION: 4 bay, 3 storeys and basement (ground floor at E front). Entrance door in piano nobile between 2 bays to right, Roman Doric pilastered, architraved doorpiece, later steps on rubble base.

E ELEVATION: see Notes.

Grey slate pitched roof above N and S fronts, piended above stair tower. Sash and case timber windows. Regularly disposed but of varied size and margins on N elevation. Additional window at 2nd floor between centre bays N elevation.

GARDEN, BOUNDARY WALLS, GARDEN HOUSES, PAVILION AND GATES: raised garden to W with rubble stone wall. Rubble stone boundary wall to N and S, driveway entrance to W of S wall with squared and snecked rubble faced quadrants and square ashlar gatepiers. Doorway with dressed lintel and surround to right. New entrance to E. Remains of small pavilion, square with gargoyles at E corner of wall. 2 small garden- houses to at E and W of original garden walls to S across Loaning Road; square rubble with domical rubble roofs.

Statement of Special Interest

E end of house destroyed by bomb 1942. New T-plan extension added circa 1976 now housing Community Education Centre, connects with old house through E gable end.

References

Bibliography

MacGibbon and Ross, CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE, Vol IV pp388-9. RCAHMS INVENTORY of Ancient and Historic Monuments, Edinburgh No 231. Groome, GAZETTEER, Vol II p294. Gifford, McWilliam, Walker, Buildings of Scotland, EDINBURGH, p663.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 9 LOANING ROAD, CRAIGENTINNY HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS WITH PAVILION END, GATEPIERS AND GARDEN HOUSES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/08/2019 19:14