Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

TEVIOT ROW AND TEVIOT PLACE, UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH MCEWAN LANTERN PILLARLB27994

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
14/07/1966
Supplementary Information Updated
20/03/2019
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25884 73115
Coordinates
325884, 673115

Description

Robert Rowand Anderson, circa 1890. 4-stage carved Portland stone tower on three convex plan steps with lantern prominently sited in front of McEwan Hall to S side of Bristo Square. 3-sided base section with framed panels under cornice and next stage with ornately carved foliate scrolls separating carved panels of mythological scenes and coat of arms. 3rd stage of floral garlands hanging between scrolls supporting fluted bowl under frieze of dancing cherubs. Tall, ornate, hexagonal cast iron architectural lantern on foliate and rounded brackets.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of an A-Group with McEwan Hall. The lantern pillar is a fine example of Victorian commemorative and civic street architecture, with good stone carving, prominently sited in front of the McEwan Hall and is an unusual work by a significant Scottish architect of the period. The lantern was funded along with the McEwan Hall by William McEwan (1827-1913) who established the successful Fountain Brewery in Edinburgh in 1856, after learning the brewing trade from his uncle. The products of this brewery were popular both locally and abroad via exports to the British Empire. In 1886 he entered parliament as MP for central Edinburgh with the brewery managed by his nephew. McEwan gave £115,000 to the University of Edinburgh to erect a graduation hall, and upon opening he was presented with an honorary doctorate and the freedom of the city of Edinburgh. The lantern bears the inscription 'Donated to the city of Edinburgh by William McEwan, Member of Parliament' and bears the McEwan family crest of lion over a bunch of wheat. Sir Robert Rowand Anderson (1834-1921) had limited experience of designing public or commercial buildings when he was included among the six architects invited to compete for Edinburgh University's graduation hall and medical school in September 1874. This he determined to win by making a study tour of medical schools and lecture theatres in England, France, Holland and Germany. His submission was selected by the ten relevant professors on 29 January 1875 and had been greatly revised and enlarged by June 1877 following the acquisition of more land. (List description updated at re-survey 2011-12.)

References

Bibliography

J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh (1984) p246.

The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, http://www.oxforddnb.com/ (accessed 2017).

Further information relating to William McEwan courtesy of the Scottish Brewing Archive Association (2017).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TEVIOT ROW AND TEVIOT PLACE, UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH MCEWAN LANTERN PILLAR

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/01/2022 03:54