Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

University of Edinburgh, Charles Stewart House, 9-16 (Inclusive Numbers), Chambers Street, EdinburghLB27991

Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Last Date Amended
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25880 73411
325880, 673411


No 16: David Rhind, 1878-9. Finely-detailed, 3-storey and attic, 3x3-bay former school building with distinctive Renaissance treatment occupying prominent corner site. Sandstone ashlar with moulded dressings. Raised in-and-out quoins. Base course; deep-set string course between ground and 1st floors; cill course at 2nd floor; projecting dentiled cornice with balustraded parapet above; globe finials. Central tripartite window to 1st floor with lion-head cornice detail. Heavy, double-consoled doorpiece with segmental pediment. Twin corbelled rectangular oriel bays to W elevation. French pavilioned roof with segmental-arched dormers.

Nos 9-15: John Lessels, 1875. 3-storey and attic, 10-bay block (comprehensively refurbished following fire - see Notes). Simple segmental-arched treatment to 1st and 2nd floors. Segmental-arched dormers. 21st century ground floor with large fixed-pane windows.

Predominantly 9-pane timber sash and case windows to principal elevation. Casements to Nos 9-15. Grey slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: No 16 retains a particularly ornate vaulted coffered plaster ceiling with central glazed cupola. Central well stair rising to all floors with finely-turned timber balustrade and moulded mahogany handrail.

Statement of Special Interest

No 16, formerly known as Chambers House, was originally built as a 'Normal School' for teacher training. Occupying a prominent corner block, this distinctive building contributes significantly to Chamber Street's predominantly Renaissance influenced run.

The building is particularly notable for its exterior French-Renaissance treatment which responds to and compliments its similarly styled neighbours. Its fine vaulted plaster ceiling at the 2nd floor also adds greatly to the interest of the building. David Rhind, the renowned Edinburgh architect, was particularly respected for his skill in designing commercial buildings throughout Scotland.

No 16 is primarily accessed via Nos 9-15 with which it now forms one building. The interior of Nos 9-15 was completely reconstructed by Scottish architect, W H Kininmonth for use as a University of Edinburgh staff club in 1967. This was destroyed by fire in the late 20th century and comprehensively refurbished once more to provide office accommodation for the University.

9-16 Chambers Street is currently named 'Charles Stewart House'. Nos 9-15 Chambers Street was previously listed as 'University of Edinburgh Staff Club Building, Chambers Street' (HBNUM:27996). No 16 Chambers Street was previously listed as 'University of Edinburgh Women's Union, Chambers Street' (HBNUM: 27991). Both were merged to account for internal alterations which united the buildings.

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey, 2007/08.

Statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '9-16 (inclusive nos) Chambers Street, Charles Stewart House'.



Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: CANMORE ID 119050

The Builder, March 16th 1878. John Gifford et al, Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh, (1991) p213.

Charles McKean, Edinburgh - An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992) p29.

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, (accessed 10.05.2007).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


South Elevation, University of Edinburgh, Charles Stewart House, 9-16 (Inclusive Numbers), Chambers Street, Edinburgh

Printed: 30/11/2022 20:50