Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ORROK (OR ORROCK) HOUSELB2778

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
16/04/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
04/04/2019
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Belhelvie
NGR
NJ 96391 19563
Coordinates
396391, 819563

Description

1781-2(?). 3-storey gabled main block with single-storey

piend roofed wings of same depth, S. front dressed granite

5-window (1 blind at ground floor, 2 at 2nd) 1 door with

rectangular fanlight and 1 window each wing. N. front

3-window (W. windows blind) 1-window in wing, ground floor

harled, dressed granite, 2nd and 3rd; tripartite doorpiece

with semi-elliptical traceried fanlight, Semi-circular headed

openings in E. wall of E. wing and at attic in gables. Simply

treated interior with original woodwork, plain railed stair,

good chimneypiece at 1st floor. Modern garage entrance W.

wing and modern porch E. wing.

Statement of Special Interest

A group. The name Orrok was transferred from the Orrok's

family estate in Fife which had had to be sold.

John Orrok 'late captain of ships trading in the East and

West Indies' recovered the family fortunes in some degree and

bought the Colpna or Over Blairtown estate rechristening it

Orrok. The house bears large 'O's over the attic windows in the

gables and except possibly at the harled ground floor appears

to have been wholly built by him. See also Forbes and Taylor,

the letters of John Orrok (son of the above). The estate was

sold to R.S. Walker 1880.

References

Bibliography

Dunbar, Historic Architecture of Scotland p.86.

Henderson, Epitaphs and Inscriptions p.143.

Temple, Thanage of Fermartyn.

Lord Tweedsmuir, One Man's Happiness. Sasines. In 1780-1 the

property was acquired by John Orrock from Alexander Fordyce

(of the Elgie family) who had acquired the property in 1770.

Fordyce may have built or begun the house as the Morning

Chronicle and London Advertiser June 15 1772 refers to a

third house in the country for retirement but his spectacular

bankruptcy as a London banker in that year allowed him little

time. A.G.R. Mackenzie believed it to be an older house

remodelled. Both the 1770 and 1781 charters refer to a

'Manour Place'. A family called Mitchell had acquired the

tenure from Panmure in 1708.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ORROK (OR ORROCK) HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 13:34