Dated 1740. Austere 3-storey, 7-bay mansion linked by curved single storey quadrants to rear 2-storey, 3-bay wings forming
rear U-plan court; rear (N) court closed by range of single
storey outbuildings. All harled with tooled granite and
tooled ashlar sandstone margins and dressings.
S facing main front of mansion with slightly advanced, gabled
and finialled centre bay with pedimented entrance masked by
mid 19th century, flat roofed porch; corniced 1st floor
window above decorative carved mock keystone to lintel;
octagonal blind oculus in gablet. Regular fenestration with
narrow windows, longer in 1st floor and small in 2nd floor;
regular 2-bay fenestration in gables, some blind windows.
2-, 4- and 6-pane glazing. Crowstepped gables; coped end and
gabled rear wallhead stacks; slate roof.
Low single storey curved quadrants, each with 2 small windows
in SE and SE elevations, link main house with mirrored
symmetrical 2-storey and dormerless attic wings, each of 3
wide bays with regular fenestration in outer and courtyard
elevations. Centre door blocked as window in E range; mainly
4- and 12-pane glazing. Flat skews; end stacks; slate roofs.
Later curved single storey lean-to corridor links central
mansion and outer wings at N, marred by intrusion of modern
INTERIOR: centre entrance/stairhall with original staircase
rising full-height; turned wooden balusters; shallow carved
scroll pattern on outer face.
Ground floor dining room at E with buffet recess; 1st floor
drawing room. Other than staircase few original features
survive; early 19th century panelled doors, window shutters;
GATEPIERS: house approached from N and separated from former
stables (E, dated 1795) and steading at W by rubble wall with
simple square gatepiers flanking entrance.
Statement of Special Interest
Datestone at rear of house, sited near wallhead stack,
initialled SF and MC for Samuel Forbes (of Skelleter,
Strathdon) and Margaet Chalmers, his wife. Mansion built on
earlier site which had been purchased in 1630 by Alexander
Forbes of Pitsligo. The mansion passed to William Gordon,
Commissioner to Earl of Aberdeen; bought in 1813 by Mr John
Dingwall of Brucklay (probably responsible for early 19th
century panelling); in 1840 Aberdour House was inherited by
the Dingwall Fordyce family.
The former stables sited at N, dated 1795 and much altered,
are not included in listing. Nor is the steading, also N of