Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

30 AND 31 CHAMBERS STREET, FORMER EDINBURGH DENTAL HOSPITAL AND SCHOOLLB27622

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/04/1977
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25718 73346
Coordinates
325718, 673346

Description

John Begg and/or Alexander Lorne Campbell, 1925-7 (alterations by Rowand Anderson, Kininmonth and Paul, 1953 - see Notes). 4-storey, 7 bay, former institutional building with Renaissance treatment with rusticated ground floor and dentiled cornice continuous with that of the earlier corner building at No 32 Chamber Street (see separate listing). Sandstone ashlar with raised and moulded dressings to 1st floor. Base course rising to ground floor cill level; projecting moulded and dentiled cornice at 2nd floor with frieze below and blocking course above. 3-bay pilastered entrance to centre with panel above inscribed 'The Edinburgh Dental Hospital And School'. Recessed panels above. Ionic end pilasters at 1st and 2nd floors with obelisk finials, as at No 32. Channelled dressings to windows at 3rd bay with sculptured armorial panel between 1st and 2nd floor; 3rd floor treated as attic with recessed, multi-paned, canted bays. Returns at E to 2-window gable with raised wallhead stack and further stack to right.

INTERIOR: extensively refurbished for use as commercial premises.

Predominantly multi-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Grey Scottish Slate. Coped ashlar skews and stacks. Clay cans. Recessed cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

Nos 30 and 31 Chambers Street groups well with its earlier neighbour at No 32 Chamber Street, borrowing various details and continuing its form and massing, though it is not by the same architect. The building is notable for its restrained detailing and verticality emphasised by the tall fenestration, particularly at 1st floor level. The unusual recessed canted windows at the 4th storey add further interest. The building occupies a prominent position at the W end of Chamber Street opposite the National Museum of Scotland. The mid 20th century alterations, including the pilastered doorpiece, add a further layer of historic interest.

The building was designed by Begg or Lorne Campbell whose partnership had come to an end three years prior to construction; it is unclear which partner was responsible. An original pedimented doorpiece at the 3rd bay was replaced by the renowned practice of Rowand Anderson, Kininmonth and Paul in 1953 as part of their alterations. These included an extension to the rear, now demolished following the construction of the adjacent new Sheriff Court. The multi-paned canted windows at 3rd floor were re-glazed in 1976. The current structure replaced an earlier dental hospital of 1894, possibly by Edinburgh Architect, Robert MacFarlane Cameron. Edinburgh Dental Dispensary was originally opened in 1860 at No1 Drummond Street, subsequently moving to Cockburn Street. It moved to the site in Chambers Street in 1894.

References

Bibliography

John Gifford et al, Buildings of Scotland - Edinburgh, (1991) p179. Charles McKean, Edinburgh - An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992) p65. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 10.05.2007)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 30 AND 31 CHAMBERS STREET, FORMER EDINBURGH DENTAL HOSPITAL AND SCHOOL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 23:11