Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 24509 71315
324509, 671315


James A Williamson, 1904-5. 6-bay Edwardian Baroque public library with 2-storey street frontage with 17th century details and single storey reading room to rear. Cream Blackpastures droved ashlar front, rendered to rear. Base course; channelled angle pilasters; architraved windows; ground floor windows with segmental arches and exposed sash cases, plain aprons; 1st floor windows with bracketted cills; dentilled eaves cornice; ashlar mullions.

E (FRONT) ELEVATION: advanced outer bays with moulded pediments bearing blank roundels and foliate carving (Joseph Hayes). Bay to outer right with round-arched doorway foliate keystone and carved city arms in surround of banded columns and broken pediment, 2-leaf panelled door and semi-circular fanlight with radial astragals; bipartite window at 1st floor above. Bay to outer left with dwarf secondary door with flat segmental-arched cornice, festooned bull's-eye window above, bipartite window at 1st floor. 4 centre bays with single windows at ground and 1st floor. Timber and lead domed decorative cupola ventilator with louvred round-arched and keystoned pedimented openings to all sides.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey main block with single windows; single storey reading room with large glazed cupola.

Small-pane timber sash and case windows. Slate piend roof with lead flashings; apex stack to N, wallhead stack to rear. Rectangular embossed eaves gutter to front.

INTERIOR: rib-vaulted vestibule and hall with dentilled cornice; 2-storey front building overlooking reading hall through arcade of 5 arches with shouldered architraves and leaded panes at heads; moulded compartmental ceilings throughout; main reading hall with large domed cupola with elaborate naturalistic plasterwork (Mackenzie of Glasgow), egg and dart and bead and reel cornices with deep dentils, marbled columns and pilasters with Ionic capitals; plainer rear reading room with shallow tunnel roof with moulded transverse beams and long skylights.



Dean of Guild 28/4/1904. Gifford et al, EDINBURGH (1984), p620.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 184 AND 186 MORNINGSIDE ROAD, MORNINGSIDE PUBLIC LIBRARY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 13:42