Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

140 MORNINGSIDE ROAD, OLD MORNINGSIDE SCHOOL, GOSPEL HALLLB27612

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24493 71433
Coordinates
324493, 671433

Description

Dated 1823. Small single storey 3-bay rectangular-plan schoolhouse with later side wings (1980). Cream sandstone, droved ashlar front and sides, rubble rear with droved quoins. Base course; eaves band. E (FRONT) ELEVATION: advanced bay at centre with single window, breaking eaves in square ashlar panel bearing clock and linked to roof with half-piend roof. Outer bays with entrance doors under deep cornices with stylised brackets, modern doors, rectangular fanlights (door to left with fanlight of 4 oval panes, to right 4 rectangular panes). Single storey flat-roofed modern side wings to right and left.

N AND S ELEVATIONS: single windows, some blocked and obscured by extensions.

Timber sash and case windows with plate glass glazing; slate piend roof, lead flashings; small louvred conical iron chimney to rear, rooflight to N.

INTERIOR: single room with plain plastered cove ceiling.

Stepped rubble boundary wall with semi-circular coping, plain cast-iron gate and railings.

Statement of Special Interest

The school was built by public subscription largely on the initiative

of George Ross, an advocate resident int Morningisde. IN 1892, South Morningside School, Comiston Road opened and the old Morningside School closed. Today it is used as a gospel hall.

References

Bibliography

Gifford et al., EDINBURGH (1984), p622. C J Smith, MORNINGSIDE (Edinburgh, 1992), pp66-72

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 140 MORNINGSIDE ROAD, OLD MORNINGSIDE SCHOOL, GOSPEL HALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/08/2019 09:35