Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

204-208 (EVEN NOS) GREAT JUNCTION STREET MECCA STATE SOCIAL CLUB, KNOWN AS 205LB27487

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/03/1995
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26589 76391
Coordinates
326589, 676391

Description

James Miller & Partners, 1938. Large rectangular Modern Movement former cinema, 2-storey flat-roofed front block with curved corner entrance and tower, warehouse-like auditorium to rear. Grey harl and white rendered breeze blocks, rear hall red brick.

Front block: 3-bay 3-storey office building to NW with shops at ground floor; centre bay rendered and breaking eaves in off-set parapet, long vertical strip window now blocked; bay to left with advertising hoarding; to right bipartite windows at 1st and 2nd floor with triangulated rendered mullions. Narrow rendered tower with long vertical triangulated motif to SE, pyramidal roof with green glazed pantiles. SE corner defined by 2-storey 3-bay curved rendered entrance, 5 doorways at ground floor, 3 single windows above. Single bay fronting Mill Lane (?) rendered with off-set parapet breaking eaves and vertical strip window. NW elevation with irregular windows and large advertising hoarding.

Cinema block: harled to SE; NW elevation facing Water of Leith red brick with large blocked windows to basement.

Metal casement windows. Corrugated sheeting to hall.

Interior: vestibule with Art Deco detailing; main auditorium with vertical strip motifs to side walls, stage wall decorated with Art Deco detailing.

Statement of Special Interest

Designed by the Edinburgh-based housebuilders, James Miller & Pertners, this building was opened as the State Cinema on 19 December 1938 and was described as a 'luxury supercinema' which also included four shops, two billiard saloons and a skittle alley. The postal address of the property is apparently 205, though it falls on the even-numbered side of the road.

Unusual purpose-built multi-use leisure development that also incorporated several shops, two billiard halls, amd a skittle alley. Multi-use expressed through varied architectural elements in Art Deco style.

References and notes updated as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 17/6/1938; 23/12/1938. Gifford et al, Edinburgh (1984), p473. Gifford et al, 'The Buildings of Scotland ' Edinburgh' (1988), p473. C Mckean, 'The Scottish Thirties' (Edinburgh, 1987), p65. B Thomas 'The last picture shows - Edinburgh', (Edinburgh, 1985), p70. Cinema Theatre Association, www.scottishcinemas.org.uk (2008).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 204-208 (EVEN NOS) GREAT JUNCTION STREET MECCA STATE SOCIAL CLUB, KNOWN AS 205

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/05/2019 02:17