Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

8, 9 AND 10 JORDAN LANELB27465

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
29/04/1977
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24665 71110
Coordinates
324665, 671110

Description

Mid to later 19th century. 2-storey 7-bay flatted block built in 2 stages with central common stair, basement on falling ground to rear. Cream sandstone, droved ashlar front with squared and snecked rubble to rear and sides with droved dressings. Base course; cill band course at 1st floor; corniced doorways with lugged architraves; panelled doors.

N (FRONT) ELEVATION: advanced central bay with cornice and blocking course breaking eaves, doorway to common stair with rectangular fanlight with ornamental astragals, single window at 1st floor above. 3 outer bays to each side mirrored with central doorway with single window above and flanking bays with single windows to ground and 1st floor.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-storey; 6-bays; 3 bays to right slightly advanced with full-height canted windows to bay to right of centre with secondary door at ground floor; later balcony with forestair to ground floor to left; single windows to remaining bays. 2 flat-roofed dormers to left, 2 canted dormer to right, slate-hung.

S AND W ELEVATION: gabled with apex stack; 3 single windows to central bay, secondary door with small window flanking.

Timber sash and case windows, mostly 4-pane windows;, 12-lying-pane windows to 1st floor above No 8 (replacement windows to ground floor at front and rear bays to left). Slate roof, 2 apex stacks (see above), 1 mutual, 2 central stacks.

INTERIOR: common stair with stone stair, cast-iron balustrade and timber handrail.

Low rubble wall to front with saddleback coping, later gates and railings.

Statement of Special Interest

Built in two Phases, Nos 8 and 9 were in existence by 1852, No 10 was added later. The block represents an unusual plan type (four-in-a-block flatted block) and building history as the earlier design was respected and continued in the second building phase.

References

Bibliography

Nos 8 and 9 shown on OS map 1852.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 8, 9 AND 10 JORDAN LANE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/08/2019 08:28