There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 22/01/1971
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 14427 72758
- Coordinates: 314427, 672758
Thomas Brown, 1846. 2-storey Baronial mansion with attic and with basement on falling ground to N. Squared and snecked, stugged sandstone with ashlar dressings; base course; chamfered reveals.
E ELEVATION: 6-bay. 2nd bay from left 3-storey saddleback-roofed entrance tower with chamfered angles corbelled to square at 1st floor; door at ground with lugged architrave and blank overdoor panel (panelled door); strapworked cartouche panel carved above; 2nd floor jettied over 1st floor window and with smaller window; circular stair tower set in re-entrant angle to right leading from basement to ground floor with stone conical roof; narrow windows on return to left to each floor and to right at 1st and 2nd floor; pedimented dormerheads to 2nd floor windows breaking eaves. Gabled bay recessed to outer left with window at ground and 1st floor and blank panel in gablehead; gablehead stack; circular bartizan at eaves with blind openings and ashlar candlesnuffer roof with ball finial. 2 lower recessed bays at centre with tall ground floor windows over basement recess and 2 1st floor windows with gabled dormerheads. 2 bays to outer right advanced and gabled with central window at ground; 2 windows at 1st floor flanking obliquely corbelled chimneybreast of gablehead stack; circular bartizan to left angle with slate candlesnuffer roof and lead finial and square, gabled bartizan to right angle with ashlar saddleback roof and louvred openings, that to rear elevation round-arched.
S ELEVATION: stepping back from left to right. Advanced gabled bay to outer left with chamfered angles swept to square at 1st floor and window to each floor; modern 2-faced clock in gablehead. Gabled bay recessed left of centre with window to ground and 1st floor and gablehead panel. Centre marked by circular 3-stage stair tower breaking eaves in re-entrant angle with arrowslit windows, dividing string courses and slated conical roof with lead finial. Broad bay to right of centre with 2 tall windows at ground and 1st floor window at centre with gabled dormerhead; circular bartizan to outer right (see E elevation).
W ELEVATION: 5-bay. Advanced gabled bay to outer left with 2 basement windows and 1 window to each upper floor; narrower recessed gabled bay flanking to right with single basement window, tall window at ground and window to each floor above; centre bay further recessed with off-set basement window and large Elizabethan stair window, stone mullioned and transomed, and with dormerheaded window above. Broad advanced gabled bay to right of centre with buttress detail to right, window altered to French window with modern oversailing access ramp; 1st floor window with chimneybreast corbelled obliquely above. Outer bay to right recessed and largely blank with dormerheaded 1st floor window. All gableheads with stacks.
N ELEVATION: rear elevation with single storey and 2-storey service wing projecting from basement to left and modern flat-roofed rectangular-plan addition to right incorporating earlier fabric enclosing courtyard formed with recessed bay at centre; ashlar gatepiers closing entrance. 2 windows to principal floor of main house to left, blank wallplane above with shouldered wallhead stack at centre, bartizan to outer left (see E elevation). Basement door in recessed gabled bay and 2 windows to floors above. Window to principal and 1st floor to left of bays right of centre, largely blank with wallhead stack as above.
12-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows; 4-pane to 2 principal windows of entrance elevation. Grey slates; crowstepped gables, ashlar ridge and coped stacks.
TERRACE BALUSTRADE: ashlar balustrade with dies and square posts shielding basement recess to outer right of principal elevation.
INTERIOR: good quality decoration in varying styles, predominantly Jacobethan; fine stained glass windows. Round-arched vestibule door with fanlight; arches with pilaster panelled and moulded archivolts in hallway and bolection moulded surround to round-arched niche. Trabeated hall ceiling with strapwork bosses. Ornate, strapwork cast-iron stair balustrade with timber rail and decorative, pierced newel post coronet. Gilded strapwork ceiling to principal ground floor room with alabaster Louis Quinze chimneypiece with Arts and Crafts tiled slip. Lugged door surrounds, panelled shutters and ingoes. Strapwork plasterwork ceiling to general office.
STAINED GLASS: post 1899; stair window 3 x 3 with square leaded glazing with floral decoration and stained centre panels, ciphers in top panels, doves at centre and Pomona, Ceres and Flora below in Pre-Raphaelite/Arts and Crafts Manner. Further stained glass window in vestibule, similarly detailed depicting owl, craft industries and dove.
Statement of Special Interest
The existing mansion replaces an earlier property of the site. It was built for William Mitchell Innes of Parson's Green and Bangour. It was sold circa 1856 to Robert Stewart and bought in 1887 by Duncan Macpherson of Glen Doll. In 1899 they were bought by Robert Montgomerie Stevenson and in 20th century there were several further changes of ownership until the RHAS purchased the property in 1958. The stained glass ciphers on the stair window bear the initials RS, RMS and either DM or OM. The stables and gardener's house and lodge are listed separately. Stylistically shows early influence of Burn and Bryce. The stained grass and tile work is of particular note.
J D G Davidson, Editor, THE ROYAL HIGHLAND AND AGRICULTURAL SHOW: A SHORT HISTORY 1784-1984 (1984) pp38-41. C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p260.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.