Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

90-102(EVEN NOS) INCHVIEW TERRACE, PORTOBELLO ROAD, FORMER WM RAMSAY TECHNICAL INSTITUTE WITH GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGSLB27288

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 26/08/1989

Location

  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NT 29888 74378
  • Coordinates: 329888, 674378

Description

J and J Hall, dated 1906. 3-storey and basement, Arts and Crafts technical institute, with single storey and basement bays to W side. Re-inforced concrete framed to E P Wells' system. Red brick; cream sandstone ashlar dressings and red granite dressings, rusticate quoins, cill and coping, brick dies. Sited on falling ground. Segmentally-arched windows and stone mullioned semi-circular windows. Lesser doors and service/machinery doors boarded.

N ELEVATION: 9 symmetrical bays, centre 3 advanced with doorways in bays flanking centre. Steps over-sailing basement recess to doors, each in moulded ashlar panel, part roll-moulded surround and incised scroll detail above; billeted lintel and blocked fanlight; small windows flanking; panelled 2-leaf doors. Bipartite at centre and to 1st floor, semi-circular windows at 2nd; large windows flanking centre at 1st and 2nd floor. 3 outer bays each side with bipartites to each bay at principal and 1st floor, semi-circular windows at 2nd. Bipartites to basement bays. Gilded "Ramsay Institute" sign.

S ELEVATION: 9-bay. Rectangular, balustraded stair block projecting at centre with door at basement, flanked by smaller door and tripartite windows to each floor above. Large round-arched machinery door to outer left; regular bipartites in remaining bays and at principal and 1st floors to each bay. Semi-circular windows at 2nd floor, that to outer left with door breaking centre, now blocked.

SIDE BLOCK: balustraded single storey and basement block projecting to W, to left of W elevation. 2 bipartites to N, 2 windows to W, and large round-arched service door to S; boarded door. Basement windows to N and W.

W ELEVATION: 3-bay. Set-off, coped brick stalk adjoined to right of centre. Metal scale platt forestair fire escape (section missing), windows altered to door as appropriate.

E ELEVATION: 3-bay. Large service ramp to machinery doors at principal floor level; bipartites to basement, principal and 1st floors of flanking bays, semi-circular windows at 2nd floor, with doors inserted by metal forestair fire escape (as above).

Square-pane glazing patterns to metal windows with pivotal sections. Flat ruberoid roof behind cast-concrete balustrade. Brick water-tank on roof, to W. Original gutterheads retained. Decorative square ventilation bricks at intervals. Decorative cast-iron lamp brackets to angles.

INTERIOR: re-inforced concrete structure to E P Wells? system of square pillars, main and secondary beams of E P Wells? twin bar type.

GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS: 3 pairs of brick piers, 1 pair with rusticated ashlar quoins and corniced granite caps. Cast- and wrought-iron gates and railings, 1 pair of gates with decoratively wrought detail. Railings set on coped course.

Statement of Special Interest

Of national significance as one of the few works by E P Wells, the first British holder of re-inforced concrete patent. This is one of the first half-dozen re-inforced concrete multi-storey buildings in Scotland, the others being to the French Hennebique system. The contractors were Stuart's Granolithic Co Ltd. Originally a chocolate factory for Messrs Schultz and Co, converted to the Ramsay Technical Institute in 1922 and to housing, 1995. The numbering of the building will be altered once the conversion has been completed, 1995.

References

Bibliography

Patricia Cusack CONSTRUCTION HISTORY 3 (1987), "Agents of change. Hennebique, Mouchel and Ferro-concrete in Britain, 1897-1908", p62. CONCRETE AND CONSTRUCTIONAL ENGINEERING 2 No 6 (Jan. 1908), pp459-466. "A Re-inforced concrete factory in Portobello, Scotland". Borders Regional Archive D 30/2/2/30.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Printed: 11/12/2016 04:09