Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

5 NAPIER ROAD WITH BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERSLB27270

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/12/1974
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24030 71816
Coordinates
324030, 671816

Description

James Campbell Walker, 1863. Single storey and attic asymmetrical cottage-style villa, parallel single storey service wings to NE; cream sandstone, squared and snecked rubble banded long and short bull-faced dressings with polished edges; chamfered reveals to canted windows; 1st floor windows with keystoned shouldered-arch lintels; overhanging eaves with exposed rafters; bargeboarded gables and dormers with king-posts and timber brackets on stone corbels.

SE (FRONT) ELEVATION: central advanced canted bay swept to square at 1st floor in gablehead, panelled entrance door with rectangular plate glass fanlight to centre with sidelights, single window in gablehead; single window at ground floor to right, window at 1st floor above breaking eaves in gabled dormerhead; small gabled timber conservatory to left; single window to service wing to outer right.

SW ELEVATION: 3-bay; 2 single windows at ground floor to centre bay, 1st floor window breaking eaves in gabled dormerhead; outer bays comprised of canted angle bays with tripartite window at ground floor, corbelled outer faces and single window to centre face at 1st floor breaking eaves in gabled dormerhead.

NW ELEVATION: central advanced gabled bay with single windows at ground and 1st floor; service wing to left with projecting central bay with window under catslide roof, secondary door and single windows.

NE ELEVATION: gable ended service wings, right wing with 3 single windows at ground floor, window in gablehead and apex stack to SW, left wing with shouldered-arch window at ground floor and shouldered wallhead stack to NW, secondary door in passage between wings; gabled main block with 2 single windows and carved tablet in gablehead, wallhead stack. Timber sash and case windows, mostly plate glass glazing to ground floor, 4-pane windows at 1st floor; purple slate roof, lead flashings; 2 wallhead and 1 apex stack (see above), 1 central stack; some octagonal cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1992.

Tall boundary wall of distinctive polygonal stonework with falt bull-faced coping, square banded gatepiers with ashlar coping, ornamental cast-iron gate.

Statement of Special Interest

The style of this villa is influenced by James Gowans' characteristic stick-style detailing, evident across the road at No 10 Napier Road, Lammerburn (J Gowans, 1859) and formerly at No 3 Napier Road, Rockville (J Gowans, 1858, demolished 1966). Campbell's Kirtle Lodge, 102 Trinity road, of 1863 has similar design and detailing as do properties in his style at 24 and 26 Mansionhouse Road, 36 Lauder Road and 11 and 13 Tantallon Place, Edinburgh.

References

Bibliography

Gifford et al., EDINBURGH (1984), p502.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 5 NAPIER ROAD WITH BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 03:15