Earlier 18th century house incorporating chimney of earlier house of 1589 earlier 19th century additions. 2 storey and attic, 4-bay main block with single storey block to NE; castellated kitchen wing to SW. Harled with sandstone margins and dressings for main block, gabled dormerheads; stugged, coursed sandstone with polished margins for NE block. Crowstepped gables.
SE ELEVATION: 4-bay, near-symmetrical main block. Door at penultimate bay to left; droved margin with heavily carved pointed arch hoodmould; escutcheon in tympanum; boarded and studded outer door; Gothick inner half-glazed door. Windows symmetrically disposed from ground to 1st floor in outer left bay; 2 widely spaced bays to right of door; penultimate bay to right, near-symmetrical but with 2 windows at ground, that to left later. 2 windows at ground outer right, window at 1st floor with dormerheaded window to outer right. Circa 1820 3-bay, single storey bow-ended block linked to main house by classical tripartite door, 6-panelled with 4-pane side lights, radiating fanlight; blocking course above. 2-bay bow to outer right; 2-bay right return with bow end to outer right.
Earlier 19th century single storey L-plan block attached at SW corner with battlemented screen wall facing entrance area; Gothick entrance of 2 storeys with blind upper pointed arch window; battlemented parapet with bartizan at left corner; later 19th century grid gate to left; rivetted thistle ironwork details: lower, coped rubble boundary wall to left; battlemented bay with boarded opening attached to main house facing SE.
NW ELEVATION: 5 asymmetrical bays, single storey bowed block to outer left; single storey kitchen block to outer right. Full-height turnpike stair tower off-centre to right; small windows; low, narrow door immediately to right with windows symmetrically disposed in floors above, small window under eaves; window at ground outer right. Tall, coped, rubble wallhead stack to left of tower, windows at ground and 1st floor below. 2-bay block with gable breaking eaves to left; blank bay to outer left; piend-roofed dormers, rooflights. Bowed block advanced to outer left; gabled block to outer right, window at centre.
12-pane sash and case windows; grey slate roof; crowstepped gables; corniced ridge, apex stacks; thack stanes; decorative floral cast iron ventilation grids.
INTERIOR: main entrance now through circa 1820 door; groin-vaulted vestibule, stone stair, decorative cast-iron balusters; bowed drawing room to right at front, delicate plasterwork; dining room behind, simple cornice, black marble fireplace; stair of earlier 19th century addition links with main block at 1st floor passage. Main block with interiors of circa 1740, painted panelling, chimneypieces with overmantel classical paintings; oak panelled room at centre, double lugged chimneypiece. Kitchen at ground left with early 17th century fireplace; armorial panel and datestone 1589 (from over entrance of earlier house) set into fireplace.
WALLED GARDEN, BOTHY AND SUNDIAL: walled garden to N of house, surrounded on 3 sides by rubble walls with sandstone slab coping. 1972 pagoda-like lych gate at centre of E wall, designed by William Schomberg Scott for National Trust for Scotland. Greenhouses against N wall of garden. Gabled bothy straddling W wall, rubble, slate roof, barred windows.
Yew hedge divides garden along NE/SW axis, 4 yew trees to NE of main front, both apparently dating from early 17th century.
SUNDIAL: dated 1700. Ashlar baluster sundial to NE of walled garden; gnomons.
IRONWORK: designed by Thomas Gibson-Carmichael, later 19th century. Numerous pieces of wrought-iron work around the garden. To SE of house a small gate with bird finials, decorative 2-leaf gate; gate and railings with thistle and floral motif to right of dovecot.
GATES AND GATEPIERS: ashlar gatepiers with pyramidal caps; decorative cast iron gates. Rusticated rubble sandstone bridge carries avenue over Bavelaw Burn; ashlar saddleback coping.
GREEN COTTAGE, CARTSHED, GRANARY AND STABLES: earlier-mid 19th century with alterations 1910-1939. Rubble with polished sandstone margins and dressings. L-plan block to NE of house comprising single storey and attic cottage; cartshed and granary and single storey cottage wing to N.
S ELEVATION: 3-bay cottage to outer left; door at centre; flanking symmetrical bays, gabled dormerheads. 5-bay stable, cartshed and granary block to right. 2-leaf boarded cart door immediately to right of cottage, boarded pedestrian door to right; window at centre; 2 basket-arched cart entrances to outer right; small granary windows under eaves.
W ELEVATION: rectangular-plan cottage wing; painted rubble, blocked openings, windows of varying sizes.
N ELEVATION: low, rear wall of stable and granary block; very steep slated roof with rooflights. Boarded door breaking eaves off-centre to left; rooflights. Barn entrance recessed to right; tall, modern gabled lean-to barn projects in front.
12-pane sash and case windows; grey slate roof, ashlar coping to skews.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.