Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

21-33 (ODD NOS) COLINTON ROADLB27165

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/01/1981
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24445 71843
Coordinates
324445, 671843

Description

David MacGibbon, 1864. Terrace of 7, 2-storey and attic 2-bay Baronial-style houses. Cream sandstone, squared and snecked bull-faced rubble with bull-faced banded dressings, and polished reveals. String course above ground floor; stop-chamfered reveals; ashlar mullions; 2-leaf herring-bone (except No 31) panelled doors with rectangular plate glass fanlights, tiled vestibules; cusped bargeboards with pierced trefoils and kingposts.

NW ELEVATION: advanced house (No 27) at centre with full-height canted window swept to square to right bay, shouldered arched window in gablehead; entrance door with single window at 1st floor to left bay. 2 houses (Nos 29, 31) to right of centre with mirrored elevations; slightly advanced inner bays with bargeboarded gables over bipartite windows at ground and 1st floor, single window in gablehead; outer bays with entrance door and single window at 1st floor. Advanced house to outer right (No 33) with gabled and finialled bay to right with 2-storey canted window and half-piend lead roof, single window in gablehead; entrance door and single window at 1st floor to left bay. 2 houses (Nos 23 with basement accessed by bridge, 25) to left of centre mirrored elevations as Nos 29, 31 (except No 25 with 2-storey canted window with half piend lead roof to inner bay). No 21 to outer left with basement accessed by bridge; advanced gabled bay to left with entrance door and window at ground floor, single windows at 1st and 2nd floor, blind trefoil in pointed arch to gablehead; slender engaged tower with conical finialled roof in re-entrant angle to right and corbelled above ground floor, bipartite window at ground floor, tripartite window at 1st floor, 2nd floor window breaking eaves in gable.

SW ELEVATION: gabled bay to right with apex stack and single window in gablehead; tall stair window to centre with border glazing; shouldered wallhead stack to left; small dormer.

Timber sash and case windows with plate glass glazing. Black slate roof, lead flashings; 1 wallhead, 1 apex stack (see above), corniced mutual stacks, tall cans. Gablet skewputts. Ornamental cast-iron eaves brackets to Nos 25, 33.

INTERIOR: not seen 1992.

Low rubble boundary wall with flat bull-faced coping, cast-iron gates and railings (partly missing Nos 29-33).

Statement of Special Interest

MacGibbon designed the block in his capacity as architect to the Merchant Company, the principal developers of Merchiston and Colinton, a position he held from 1862 until 1901. The detailing of the terrace with its long and short bull-faced dressings shows similarities to the designs of J C Walker and James Gowans. No 23 subdivided to Nos 23 and 23B.

References

Bibliography

D Walker 'The architecture of MacGibbon and Ross' in STUDIES IN SCOTTISH ANTIQUITY PRESENTED TO STEWART CRUDEN, ed. David Breeze (Edinburgh, 1984), p402.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 21-33 (ODD NOS) COLINTON ROAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/10/2021 09:03