Designed 1799 for William Ainslie, built post 1804 with later extension. 2-storey and basement originally 4-bay house with 2-bay matching extension to NE. Cream sandstone, stugged ashlar basement with polished ashlar above, coursed and squared rubble to rear and side with stugged dressings. Band base course; band course above ground floor; eaves cornice with blocking course; blind balustraded aprons to 1st floor windows; architraved windows.
NW (FRONT) ELEVATION: railed stone steps oversailing basement to Roman Doric doorpiece to right of centre with stylised foliage capitals, panelled door and rectangular plate glass fanlight; regular fenestration.
SW (MITCHELL STREET) ELEVATION: 3-bay; gabled with broad apex stack; single windows (outer windows blinded), single window to gablehead.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: single windows; large canted brick bay to right;
3 rectangular dormers (some re-glazed).
Timber sash and case windows with plate glass glazing, some 12-pane to rear and side. Black slate roof; 2 apex stacks
(see above), 1 transverse (former apex) stack. Moulded gutterheads.
INTERIOR: tripartite inner door with semi-circular fanlight with radial astragals and floral carving to architrave.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: low boundary wall to front, cast-iron railings, 2 tall coped gatepiers to Mitchell Street with remains of tall boundary wall with inset doorway (blocked).