Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

200 MILTON ROAD EAST, PORTOBELLO CEMETERY AND LODGE HOUSE WITH GATES, RAILINGS, GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND PAVILIONLB27103

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/09/1995
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 31984 72957
Coordinates
331984, 672957

Description

Robert Paterson, 1876. 2-storey with single storey sections, complex T-plan, jerkin-headed lodge house with decorative barge-boarding, porch to re-entrant angle to NW. Squared and snecked sandstone rubble. Base course.

NW (MILTON ROAD EAST) ELEVATION: advanced 2-storey, single bay. Window at ground. Timber oriel at 1st floor on bold timber brackets with paterae to apron.

SW ELEVATION: 3-bay. Gabled porch to centre, modern flush door with Tudor-arched plate glass fanlight above. Bay to left blank except carved shield plaque with : "Portobello Cemetery opened 1877- Thomas Wood Provost" at 1st floor level. Bay to right advanced; single storey with piend-roofed canted window.

SE ELEVATION: 2-bay; gabled window in bay to left. Bay to right advanced with tripartite window and bowed, conically-roofed small dormer behind attic of 2-storey arm.

Timber-mullioned sash and case windows, each section with 3-panes (breaking eaves to NE elevation). Grey slate roof with jerkin-head to NE, in bay to right, SW elevation, and bay to right SE elevation. Timber barge-boarding, and ornate timber eaves. Bull-faced ashlar and coped stack in bay to right, to NW elevation (inner core of building), and as wallhead to NW elevation. Terracotta roof tiles and finials.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1994.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: bull-faced ashlar with coping; serpentine base wall to entrance with 4 tall polygonal gatepiers with gablet detail to sawtooth conical ashlar caps and large ball finials. Cast-iron railings and fine gates, pedestrian to flanking opening and vehicular to centre.

GRAVEYARD: variety of gravestones and memorials, including memorial to Dr Balfour by John S Rhind, 1907; granite obelisk and bronze relief portrait.

PAVILION SHELTER: timber-boarded waiting room with chevron boarding above cill level, small-pane windows, fretted timber pelmet to terracotta-tiled roof and timber overhanging eaves.

Statement of Special Interest

The cemetery had to be created as the demand for burial ground began to exceed the area provided by Duddingston Churchyard and that of Portobello and Old Windsor Place Church, Bellfield Street. Initially the plot covered 4 acres which, with the cost of the lodge, came to $11,000.

References

Bibliography

W Baird, ANNALS OF DUDDINGSTON AND PORTOBELLO, (1898), p 412. McWilliam, Gifford and Walker, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND- EDINBURGH VOLUME, (1991), p652.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 200 MILTON ROAD EAST, PORTOBELLO CEMETERY AND LODGE HOUSE WITH GATES, RAILINGS, GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND PAVILION

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2021 18:22