Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 24765 73255
324765, 673255


William Burn (design by David Bryce) 1830-1, alterations by MacGibbon and Ross, 1893. 3-storey, 5-bay symmetrical rectangular-plan classical church, converted to cinema complex. Polished sandstone ashlar, channelled at ground. Base course; voussoirs to ground floor windows and doorways; dividing band course above ground floor; band course at eaves; cornice; balustraded parapet. Architraves to 1st and 2nd floor windows; aprons and cornices to 1st floor windows.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: bays to outer right and left form advanced entrances; 2-leaf timber doors; round-arched plate glass fanlights; floors above flanked by giant order pilasters; single pedimented windows to 1st floor; blank rectangular tablets at 2nd floor. Regular fenestration to 3 intermediate bays; round-arched at ground.

16-pane timber sash and case windows to 1st and 2nd floors, with additional 6 panes to ground floor windows. Roof not seen 1997.

INTERIOR: entrance bays open into modern central foyer; rectangular-plan cafeteria and bar to rear; corridor to left at rear leads to Cinemas 2 and 3. Staircases lead up from halls on both sides to U-plan gallery surrounding Cinema 1; 6 original fluted Tower-of-the-Winds columns support a segmental ceiling of 12 panels; stepped stage.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: single-storey corniced ashlar walls project to street at outer edges; low ashlar boundary walls to street in alignment with advanced bays; small coped gatepiers flank band of steps to 3 central bays.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such, formerly listed as Lothian Road Church (Church of Scotland). Converted to cinemaby the Waters Jamieson Partnership (1978-81).

References and notes updated as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.



THE BUILDER 03/06/1882, p668; A H Mitchell THE HISTORY OF LOTHIAN ROAD UNITED FREE CHURCH CONGREGATION (1911); G Hay THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST REFORMATION CHURCHES, (1957), p264; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988), pp26, 39, 45, 255-6, 257; C McKean EDINBURGH: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992), p56-7; H Colvin A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS, (1995), p185. Cinema Theatre Association,, (2008).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 88 LOTHIAN ROAD, FILMHOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 05/12/2023 05:17