There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 29/04/1977
- Supplementary Information Updated: 09/06/2008
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 26855 75833
- Coordinates: 326855, 675833
George Beattie and Son, 1885, heightened 2 storeys by George Craig, 1894. 3-storey and attic 3-bay corner block with some Moorish details, originally built as Turkish baths, converted to cinema in 1920 and currently occupied by Destiny Church (2007). Cream sandstone, squared and snecked rubble with polished dressings. Base course; cill course at 1st and 2nd floor; bracketted cills; ashlar eaves band; architraved windows; horseshoe-arched openings to ground floor of principal elevation.
NE (FRONT) ELEVATION: corniced and pilastered doorway at centre with 2 smaller windows flanking, panels of stylised Moorish motifs to pilasters, stylised brackets to cornice, distinctively panelled door and plate glass fanlight; window at 1st floor; bipartite window at 2nd floor; wallhead breaking eaves in pediment with half-moon finial, horseshoe-surround to porthole window and flanking short pilasters surmounted by wallhead stacks. Bay to left with chamfered corner at ground floor, window with chamfered reveals; canted angle windows above at 1st and 2nd floor; small leaded onion dome above wallhead. Bay to right with window at ground floor; canted angle windows and dome as above.
SE ELEVATION: part-rendered; irregularly-spaced windows, secondary doorway; wallhead stack.
Timber sash and case windows with plate glass glazing. Slate roof; 3 wallhead stacks (see above), wallhead stack to NW.
INTERIOR: seen (2007). Impressive, white-painted open auditorium with good quality, intricately detailed plasterwork. Gallery to rear with floral design plasterwork to balcony front. Glass and timber screen below. Pilastered round-arched blind arcading to walls with carved plaster capitals with angel heads. Proscenium arch to rare plaster screen (see Notes) to one wall with central Baroque cartouche. Some late 20th century alterations.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. This is a particularly interesting building with unusual detailing which has gone through a remarkable series of uses. Built originally as Turkish Baths, the building has unusual Moorish detailing to the exterior, especially in the doorway and onion-shaped domes, and it is a distinctive addition to the streetscape. Internally, there is a large hall-type space probably created when the building was converted to cinema use in 1920. It has impressive intricate plasterwork. The building contains a rare example of a plaster screen within the proscenium arch which dates from its previous use as a cinema.
The building was constructed in 1885 by the well-known Edinburgh family firm George Beattie & Son as a Turkish Bath. In 1920, the building was converted to a cinema. The .plaster decoration is most likely to date from this time of conversion. The plaster screen is a rare survivor, as these were usually removed to make way for sound equipment behind later screens. This one has survived because the building ceased being a cinema in the early 1930s and was subsequently converted into a church.
List description updated and category changed from C(S) to B as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
Ordnance Survey Map (1893-4). Dean of Guild 18/11/1885; 6/3/1894. Gifford et al, EDINBURGH (1984), p474. Other information courtesy of Cinema Theatre Association (2007)
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.