Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

FOXHALL (TODSHAUGH) WITH WALLED GARDEN, GARDEN SHELTER AND GARDEN DOORLB27051

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/02/1971
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 13135 74192
Coordinates
313135, 674192

Description

Circa 1810. 2-storey, 5-bay, symmetrical, rectangular- plan classical block, with single-storey wing to right. Ashlar faced with rubble to rear and side elevations. Rusticated quoins throughout, basecourse and cornice. Ashlar margins to windows at rear, stone cills to front.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced and pedimented entrance bay at centre. Tripartite doorcase with Doric pilasters framing flush-panelled door with radiating fanlight and 2 sidelights, single window above. Regular fenestration in flanking bays. 3-bay, single storey service block, with flat-roofed slate-hung dormer immediately to right. Slightly recessed and adjacent to outer right single bay rubble with quoins. Access to service block through square porch on return to right; squared and snecked sandstone.

S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: 5-bay (grouped 2-1-2). Basecourse, eaves band and margins. Regular fenestration with former door at centre now glazed. Evidence of former porch to wallplane. 3 segmental- headed dormers rise above the 3 central bays. Modern lean-to conservatory (containing swimming pool), built in re-entrant angle of service wing to left.

E ELEVATION: symmetrical 3-bay with small window at 1st floor asymmetrically placed between centre and bay to right. Blind window at ground floor in bay to right.

W ELEVATION: single storey projecting outbuilding (detailed as service wing) at centre; door to right. Doors in outer bay to recessed service block.

12-pane glazing pattern in sash & case windows. Moulded eaves gutter. Piend and platform grey slate roof. Corniced ashlar end stacks with octagonal cans.

INTERIOR: not seen April 1992.

TERRACE: lawn terrace to S framed to E and W by ashlar rusticated piers with fluted urn finial. Ashlar steps down to lower garden.

WALLED GARDEN AND DOORWAY AND GARDEN SHELTER: earlier 18th century walled garden to SE. Entrance via plain door in N wall. High handmade red brick walls with ashlar slab coping runs from NE to SE. Garden shelter along E wall.

GARDEN SHELTER: earlier 18th century. Built flush with E wall, extends beyond wall to NE. 3-bay aedicule of fluted, Coade stone, Doric pilasters supporting frieze and entablature, base course. Render over brick. Glazed area between the pilasters. Garden wall on either side swept up to cornice level with coping of scroll brackets. Flat roofed.

DOORWAY: late 17th century doorway incorporated in wall further to S opposite dovecot (listed separately). Lugged sandstone surround with fluted moulding, applied console motif under left hand lug.

Statement of Special Interest

In 1736 Hugh Horn purchased the estate from the Monteith-Carre family and the name of the estate was changed from Todshaugh to Foxhall. The walled garden and dovecot date from the 18th century. The survival of such a fine shelter/summer house is unusual and of particular note. In the later 18th century the estate became the property of William Thomas Wishart who may have been responsible for the building of the present house. Donald Charles Cameron, trustee of the Edinburgh-Linlithgow Turnpike Roads, was proprietor from 1826. He may have been responsible for the building of the stables and estate cottages. Foxhall dovecot and lodge are listed separately.

References

Bibliography

D Whyte KIRKLISTON, A PARISH HISTORY (1991) p14. C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p274. Ordnance Survey Gazetteer (1895) Vol 3 p59 NSA p137.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FOXHALL (TODSHAUGH) WITH WALLED GARDEN, GARDEN SHELTER AND GARDEN DOOR

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 10:03