Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

26 GEORGE IV BRIDGE, FRANKENSTEIN PUB (FORMER ELIM PENTECOSTAL CHURCH)LB26862

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/04/1977
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25673 73341
Coordinates
325673, 673341

Description

Charles Leadbetter, 1859. Decorated gothic church on asymmetrical site. Cream coursed ashlar with polished dressings to George IV Bridge; ashlar to ground and squared and snecked rubble above to rear. Base course; roll-moulded crocketed eaves course and fleur-de lys-finialled gablehead to George IV Bridge. Chamfered surrounds and hoodmoulds with carved label stops to windows and door. Curvilinear tracery to windows.

E (GEORGE IV BRIDGE) ELEVATION: 4-bays: 2-leaf timber door to left with gothic detailing in pointed-arched doorpiece with stiff-leaf capitals to paired colonnettes. 2-light window with trefoil above; tower in plane of wall with blind circular multifoil opening flanked by turrets with broached finialed spires linked by arcaded parapet. Central gable with fleur-de-lys finial containing tall 3-light window, flanked by smaller 2-light windows and circular windows with mouchettes below, linked by continuous hoodmould at cill level of central window.

W (CANDLEMAKER ROW) ELEVATION: flat-headed windows to ground and 1st floors; pointed-arched windows above. String course between 1st and 2nd floors. Flat-roofed 2-bay infill to outer left with drum (cupola lighting stair) to roof. Pitch-roofed V-plan bay to left with 2-light cusped windows to each facet and apex stack. Single windows to outer right and small trefoil high up to centre.

INTERIOR: altered for new use as public house, but ribbed ceiling on foliaged corbels, U-plan gallery on cast-iron columns and pulpit with swept canopy over sounding-board still there.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Built as Martyr's Free Church for the Reformed Presbyterian Congregation (later United Free and then Elim Pentecostal). Now (2000) a public house. Dean of Guild drawings show that the 3-storey tenement with shops at ground floor at Nos 27-30 George IV Bridge was also designed by Charles Leadbetter in 1859 for the Reformed Presbyterians. George IV Bridge formed part of Thomas Hamilton's plan for the new Southern and Western approaches to the city.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 16th June 1859. Appears on 1877 OS map. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 152.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 26 GEORGE IV BRIDGE, FRANKENSTEIN PUB (FORMER ELIM PENTECOSTAL CHURCH)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 21:47