There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 22/01/1971
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 11141 69102
- Coordinates: 311141, 669102
Probably Alexander Black, 1858 incorporating an earlier house of 1622 with later additions of circa 1720. 2-storey and attic Jacobean mansion over low basement, 7-bay, symmetrical, rectangular-plan, double-pile. Rendered with honey-coloured sandstone dressings. String courses, eaves band, corner bartizans, balustrade, buckle quoins, shaped gables. Chamfered arrises.
E ELEVATION: symmetrical block with balustraded terrace wall. Entrance block of 3 bays at centre, slightly advanced with shaped gable. Solid stone stair and platt to door with heavily-detailed painted doorpiece; round- headed door framed by banded Doric columns supporting entablature which in turn supports strapwork and amphorae. 9-panelled door with Edinburgh handle and plate-glass arched fanlight. Flanking console-keystoned niches with eagles on pedestals. 3 windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor with single window with strapwork detailing in gablehead. Windows symmetrically disposed in bays to right and left, wallhead balustrade interrupted by stone dormer windows with decorative, shaped pediments capped by crescent finials. Corners pepperpot bartizans with ogival lead roofs; tall finials.
W ELEVATION: 7-bay, symmetrical, detailed similar to E elevation. Centre 3 bays advanced with shaped gable. Plain stair to glazed porch over narrow moulded door at centre (apparently part of the 1622 house). Windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor, single window in gablehead. Symmetrical flanking bays to left and right with dormer windows interrupting balustrade, shaped pediments with floral and thistle finials; corner pepperpot bartizans.
S ELEVATION: shaped M-gabled elevation with corner bartizans and sqaure projecing bay window off-centre to left. 3 windows symmetrically grouped towards centre at 1st floor with windows in right and left gablehead. Raggle of former lean-to shed/greenhouse immediately to right of bay window above panelled door giving access to house. Stepped brick retaining wall with ball finials to right. Plain steps up to terrace area.
N ELEVATION: shaped M-gable. Stair down to basement at outer left, symmetrical grouping of 3 bays toward centre at 1st and 2nd floor, windows in gablehead.
8-pane and 4-pane glazing in sash and case windows. Fixed glazing to lancets in bartizans. Grey slate piend roof. 10 square stacks united under cornice forming rooftop feature. Square decorative rainwater heads on either side of the main entrance. Cast-iron rainwater goods over centre bay of W elevation incorparating a fleur-de-lis panel and square rainwater heads with 1858 date.
INTERIOR: Not seen August 1992.
Statement of Special Interest
The original house of 1622 can still be discerned on the garden front, this house was apparently doubled with another block of similar size in circa 1720. In 1858 the entire house was given a Jacobean treatment apparently by Alexander Black and is similar to Heriot's Hospital in Edinburgh. Bonnington dovecot and sundial are listed separately.
C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p113. F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1897) p174. NSA Vol I, p83. J Tweedie & C Jones OUR DISTRICT (1975) p78. Sales Brochure 1976 in NMRS.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.