There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 12/12/1974
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 30579 73975
- Coordinates: 330579, 673975
T Bowhill Gibson, 1938, with later alterations. Art Deco, 3-storey, rectangular-plan former cinema, now bingo hall. Harled painted side elevations, rendered and lined to principal elevation. Coping at wallhead; vertical strips to parapet.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre advanced; 5 steps to modern plate glass window and flanking doors (originally 2-leaf timber-framed doors to outer, similarly glazed sections to centre); modern timber canopy with rounded and grooved original corbels flanking (echoing rounded tower bases framing entrance area). Formerly glazed brick tower to centre, projecting (like fin) forward above, since removed; projecting strip to centre with "George" in applied letters running down; stepped wall surface flanking; outer section of centre advanced and rounded as towers with quadripartite blinded horizontal window to upper sections and tripartite windows lower down on returns. Outer recessed bays blank.
Piended corrugated asbestos roof with steel trusses.
INTERIOR: access to balcony now blocked. Entrance vestibule with coombed ceiling; skirting; fluted frieze; ticket booth to centre between staircases leading to balcony; 2-leaf flush timber doors leading to stalls to left with semi-circular glazed panels overlapping with metal handles; gent's lavatory to front left; modern sweet shop to right; ladies's lavatory to front left. Simple design to vents in ceiling. Double curved, stepped iron banister to stairs still in place. Original signs to lavatories, stalls and balcony. Auditorium now with false ceiling, truncating proscenium. Dado, curving over double doors to side of proscenium. Gently slopping floor. Seats since removed. Some details remaining, such as circular niches and strip plasterwork to walls.
Statement of Special Interest
A prominent building within the locality, by an important Scottish Architect of the Inter-War period, who was Edinburgh's leading cinema designer. On the plans the centre bays, flanking the tower are seen to be taller than outer bays but not as tall as the tower. "The original facing block (currently brilliant white) was in two shades of light blue, and the 33' high advertising tower was entirely glazed, and illuminated at night from inside by means of cyclo troughing, giving constantly changing pastel hues. The top of the building was outlined by a thin line of neon tubing, and the remainder of the facade was floodlit by lights hidden behind the canopy."
C McKean, (1987), p 67-68.
The cinema opened in 1939; it was refurbished and renamed the George in 1954; it has been closed as a cinema since 1954 and has run as a bingo hall since then. The original facade has been reduced in height and the central tower removed, (CTA, 2008).
References and notes updated as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
Dean of Guild records. C McKean, THE SCOTTISH THIRTIES-AN ARCHITECTURAL INTRODUCTION, (1987), P 67-68. Gifford, McWilliam, Walker, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND, (1991). Additional information courtesy of The Cinema Thetare Association, www.scottishcinemas.org.uk, (2008).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.