Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

89 DUKE STREET, FORMER LEITH ACADEMY SECONDARY SCHOOL, LOCHEND ANEXE, WITH JANITOR'S HOUSE, PLAY SHELTER, RAILINGS AND GATEWAYLB26754

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 05/03/1991

Location

  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NT 27276 75664
  • Coordinates: 327276, 675664

Description

George Craig, 1885-7. 2-storey and attic, 16-bay Collegiate Gothic former school building. Roughly H-plan. Bull-faced, squared and necked masonry with red ashlar dressings. Base course, cill course at ground and 1st floor, cornice at eaves. Pointed arcaded windows at 1st floor and pointed to attic, roll-moulded window surrounds. Ventilator grille openings beneath windows.

E (LOCHEND ROAD) ELEVATION: symmetrical, 16 bays on falling ground with 4-bay centrepiece flanked by pinnacled octagonal shafts. Large semicircular tympanum above centre 4 1st floor windows, inscribed LOCHEND ROAD SCHOOL with figurative education roundel above. String course and central blind oculus in gablehead. Bays flanking centre buttressed on ground floor - 3 to each side. Large rectangular panel with carved details (see notes) with pointed tympanum above around blind traceried oculus. At 1st floor right-hand side, centre bay, window is blind, on left 2nd bay from centre and 3 outer bays blind; 3 buttressed gabled ashlar dormer windows to each side of centre.

S ELEVATION: symmetrical, 15 bays, outer 4 bays to each side gabled and advanced. Centre 7 bays plain with 3 buttressed dormer windows, identical to E elevation. Outer bays have 4 rectangular windows to ground, inner on each adapted to a door. String course divides gablehead from 1st floor, former with 4 small round-headed windows with quatrefoil above.

N ELEVATION: advanced 4-bay gable to left; outer 2 windows at 1st floor blind, gablehead with bipartite plate traceried window. To right, 8-bay block. Re-entrant angle occupied by broad single bay gabled block and directly above small 2-bay turret with slate roof, tall chimney stack above. To right, 2 irregularly fenestrated bays. 8-bay block has windows identical to rest of building but without cill courses. Centre 4 bays have domers.

W ELEVATION: 3-bay block in centre with 3 windows to ground and 1st. To right, large slightly advanced return of gable ended bay to W, with 2 windows to far left. To left, advanced gabled bay with 2 small round-headed windows and oculus in gablehead. Large modern brick chimney added by re-entrant angle.

All large windows timber sash and case 6-pane with hoppers. Dormer and attic windows sash and case. Slate roof with decorative red terracotta ridges.

Wrought-iron railings over dwarf wall to Lochend Road side of N playground. Matching 2-leaf wrought-iron gates and pedestrian gates to Janitor?s House. Railings and wall to S playground removed. Dwarf wall across front of playground. Arch pedestrian entrances to each side of school, ashlar, buttressed with pitched stone capping and scrolled terminal finials. Decorative wrought-iron gates within arches.

JANITOR?S HOUSE: L-plan.

E ELEVATION: gabled 2-bay block to left with date (1886) in gablehead and stack at apex. Recessed single-bay block with pointed entrance door with single window above.

S ELEVATION: single advanced gabled bay to left with 1 window off centre. Section to right with 1 window at ground floor to far right.

W ELEVATION: 3-bay, flat-roofed 1950s extension. Only 1 original ground floor window visible.

N ELEVATION: 2-symmetrically placed 1st floor windows, otherwise blank.

PLAY SHELTER: in playground to N of main building. Pitched, slated roof supported on cast-iron columns over open connecting walkway to squared and snecked sandstone ashlar play shelter, also with pitched and slated roof.

Statement of Special Interest

The foundation stone was laid on the 17th October 1885, and opened on the 29th January 1887 by Sir William Muir, principal of Edinburgh University. This building is an imposing landmark at the N end of Lochend Road - clearly visible from Leith Links - is a superior variant of School Board Gothic.

References

Bibliography

Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1991) p464.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Printed: 18/10/2017 21:35