Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

DALRY ROAD, DALRY CEMETERY, GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGSLB26733

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
09/02/1993
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 23640 72550
Coordinates
323640, 672550

Description

Landscaped by David Cousin, 1846.

GATEWAYS: much altered to Dalry Road; decapitated orthogonal gatepiers with massive sawtooth coped buttresses; flanked by square piers with moulded crenellations. Rear entrance to Dundee Street with 4 square piers as above. Plain wrought-iron gates.

BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: of squared, snecked and stugged sandstone on ashlar plinth; semi-circular coping; lower coped section in front of lodge filled with iron arrowhead railings and wrought panel. Milestone on NW wall.

TERRACE: perron stair to buttressed terrace with balustrade and catacombs below; pointed-arch entrance to vaults flanked by buttressed octagonal piers either side of stair; each vault lit by demi-lune skylight in upper level of terrace (whole in poor condition).

Statement of Special Interest

Originally known as the Dalry Necropolis, a property of the Metropolitan Cemetery Association, who bought the six acres of land from the Walker family of Dalry House. A Mausoleum or Funerary Chapel is shown to SE of the catacombs on some plans, but was never built. General Sir Neil Douglas (C-in-C Scotland) and Sir Alexander Burns (distinguished traveller) are buried here. There is a lodge listed separately.

References

Bibliography

EDINBURGH ART JOURNAL 1864; APSD; THE DALRY NECROPOLIS Edinburgh Room; A Boyle RUINS AND ROMANS; EDINBURGH'S NEGLECTED HERITAGE Edinburgh 1985; DALRY-HAYMARKET THE STORY OF A PARISH; Gifford et al. EDINBURGH p506.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DALRY ROAD, DALRY CEMETERY, GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 01/11/2020 01:43