Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

24 DALMENY STREET, AND BUCHANAN STREET, UKRAINIAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST ANDREWLB26716

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
13/03/1995
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26761 75264
Coordinates
326761, 675264

Description

To design by Sloan & Balderston 1822, adapted Archibald Thomson circa 1880. Gothic church. Rectangular nave oriented NW to SE with gabled main entrance bay angled to street corner. Symmetrical on 2 elevations mirrored about chamfered corner at centre creating dynamic impact at road junction. Squared and snecked sandstone with lightly droved dressings, stugged stonework to rear and side elevations. Brick vestry extension to rear elevation with stugged sandstone dressings. Base course, cill courses at ground, 1st floor and gablehead windows, eaves course.

SPIRE: square, battered and slate-hung, eastern European style timber tower over main entrance bay, timber boarded belfry with blind round-arched arcading and bell-cast pyramidal roof above, with cross finial at apex.

ENTRANCE ELEVATION: roll-moulded reveals, chamfered arrises to shouldered main entrance door, trefoil window above with flanking circlets, all set in slightly projecting gabled panel with pointed-arch recess of double order, above, stop-chamfer at mid-height. Large circular window above, roll-moulded surround, stepped triple slit windows in gablehead. Flanking buttresses, with octagonal and panelled pinnacles with pyramidal slated caps, and diminutive onion dome finials surmounted by a gilded cross.

N AND W GABLES AND STAIR TOWERS: each with 3 pointed-arch windows at ground floor, pointed-arch plate traceried window at 1st floor containing triple lancet with circular window above, stepped triple slit window in gablehead. Buttressed square stair towers symmetrically placed to outer left and right of N and W gables respectively, slightly projecting gabled subsidiary entrances with pointed-arch door recesses, shouldered and chamfered arrises to door openings with circlets above. Circular windows at 1st floor with roll-moulded surround, lancet to tower side elevations at intermediate level. Square pyramidal roofs with cross finials.

NAVE TO REAR: plain box with single lancet at SE end of side elevations. Windows to outer right and left of SE (REAR) elevation, double lancets supporting circular openings. Vestry extension to centre, single storey over raised basement, chamfered corner to W. Leaded windows (square, diamond and geometrical) with coloured glass and iron bars.

4-pane and plate glass timber sash and case windows to vestry. Heavily panelled 2-leaf timber doors with diagonal boarding at entrances to vestibule. Boarded 2-leaf timber door to vestry basement. Grey slate roofs with concealed flashings, piended to spire, stair towers, pinnacle caps and vestry. Coped 3-flue stack to SE gable apex with circular cans.

INTERIOR: polygonal nave with splayed U-plan timber gallery to W, NW and N walls, panelled and raked, cast-iron supporting columns with circular moulded capitals. Pitch pine pews and wainscoting to nave. Open timber roof with wall-posts and curved rafters supported on low stone corbels. Pointed-arch doorways to entrance vestibule, quatrefoil windows over glazed 2-leaf doors, round-arched windows with central timber column, all symmetrically disposed and glazed with leaded glass. Shallow pointed-arched recess to centre of SE wall, smaller pointed-arched recess centred within, containing painting of Christ. Flanking pointed-arched doorways to vestry, stained glass to doors and circular windows above. Gold-painted mouldings around arches. Low timber screen around altar with ball finials at corners. Curved narrow vestibule with symmetrically disposed stone gallery stairs at either end, cast-iron balusters with timber handrails. Pointed-arch altar niche opposite main entrance door (as Lady Chapel) containing painted eastern European style Madonna. Plain cornice to ceiling and roll-mouldings to window surrounds.

Modern decorative wrought metal railings to streets, with sliding gates at entrances. Filigree arch to main door with shield and cross at centre.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building, in use as such. Built for the United Presbyterians circa 1880 to a design of 1822 supplied by the American architects Sloan & Balderston and adapted by Archibald Thomson of Leith. A sketch in the frontispiece of the book of 1902 shows the slated spire above the belfry to be taller than at present, with a similar pitch to the section below, and brattishing at its apex. This was probably altered when it became the Ukrainian Church.

References

Bibliography

Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1991), p459. James F Cannon (1904) DALMENY STREET UNITED FREE CHURCH, A RETROSPECT.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 24 DALMENY STREET, AND BUCHANAN STREET, UKRAINIAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/11/2018 13:05