Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ADDISTOUN HOUSE WITH GARDEN WALLS, ARCHWAY, TERRACE, WALLED GARDEN, GARDEN HOUSE AND WALLHEADLB26710

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
08/03/1994
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 15554 69392
Coordinates
315554, 669392

Description

Charles G Soutar, 1938. 2-storey, asymmetrical, L-plan Arts and Crafts house with Scottish 17th century references. Oatmeal-coloured dry dash with polished sandstone dressings; raised concrete cills; polished eaves cornice for tower; rubble base course. Wallhead swept in unusual concave course under eaves. Bipartite windows for 1st floor; timber transomed and mullioned windows for ground floor.

NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: circular entrance tower set in re-entrant angle of L block and breaking eaves in conical roof above; arced, low steps to door; roll-moulded architrave; flanking narrow windows. Long, narrow window directly above at 1st floor. Lower 3-bay block to left; single window at ground right; bipartite windows to centre bay with swept dormerhead breaking eaves; blank bay to outer left. Swept concave wall (dry dash with ashlar coping) encloses area to E. Taller projecting block to right of tower, single bay return. 2-bay to N; elevation divided by tall wall of walled garden; window to left of wall at ground; bipartite window at 1st floor. Beyond wall to right, bipartite window at ground outer left, single window at ground outer right. Large stair window (transomed and mullioned) at centre.

E ELEVATION: court-effect, walled garden to S, and swept partial-enclosing curtain wall to N. Round-headed gateway entrance to garden in wall. Asymmetrical; door off-centre to right, boarded with 3-pane fanlight; flanking windows. Swept dormerhead breaking eaves at centre. Single window at ground outer left; boarded door at ground to right. Flat-roofed garage and stores opposite.

W ELEVATION: 2-bay symmetrical; large windows at ground; bipartites at 1st floor.

S ELEVATION: asymmetrical. Projecting block off-centre to right, 2 tall windows at ground, bipartite at 1st floor, similar arrangement in single bay right return. Lower 3-bay asymmetrical block to outer right; windows at centre ground, narrow windows in outer left and right bays; 2 swept dormerheads breaking eaves. Single storey, flat-roofed conservatory in re-entrant angle to left against 3-bay slightly-advanced block; regular windows to advanced block. Lean-to projection at ground on return, window above, regular bay to outer left.

CONSERVATORY: flat-roofed dry dash conservatory with concrete coping in re-entrant angle. Large round-arched window in S elevation, 2 glazed round-arched doors on return.

Leaded casement windows. Brown, graded stone slate; piended roof, concrete ridge; rendered, coped stacks.

INTERIOR: not seen 1992.

GARDEN WALLS: W WALL OF THE ORCHARD: probably 17th century, random rubble with some harl pointing; sandstone archway to orchard, bolection moulding.

WALL TO SW OF HOUSE: mid 19th century. Random rubble high walls.

TERRACE WALLS: mid 19th century. Rubble wall with harl- pointing and ashlar slab coping delimits area of main garden to S of house. Steps at either end of terrace wall lead down to lower terrace with woodland and banks of Gogar Burn beyond. Steps supported on ashlar relieving arch. Pink sandstone ashlar pier balusters. Sundial on S terrace coping.

GARDEN HOUSE AND WALLED GARDEN: to W of house. Restored and rebuilt from 1938. High rubble walls with harl pointing, slab coping. Archway into garden in NE wall similar style to archway into S garden. Garden house built into NW corner of wall. Square-plan with stone forestair to door at 1st floor. Piended roof; thick, brown stone slates.

WELLHEAD: drystone circular wellhead with ashlar coping to NW of house in entrance court. Simple decorative wrought-iron overthrow.

Statement of Special Interest

Addistoun House was built in 1938 by Charles G Soutar on the site of the former dower house of Dalmahoy. Some of the garden walls of this earlier house were incorporated very successfully into the planning of the 1938 house. The W walls of the orchard date from the 17th century, while the the terrace to the S and the garden walls to the SW date from the mid 19th century. Addistoun dovecot which dates from the 18th century is listed separately. Addistoun lodge which is contemporary with the house and ensuite is listed separately.

References

Bibliography

C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p75. AN INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND Vol 5 pp1-3. OS 1st and 2nd edition maps, 1855, 1895.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ADDISTOUN HOUSE WITH GARDEN WALLS, ARCHWAY, TERRACE, WALLED GARDEN, GARDEN HOUSE AND WALLHEAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/08/2019 07:17