Circa 1628 with possible earlier foundation, later circa 1900 additions by Robert Lorimer, further alterations in 1938 by Dick Peddie and Mckay. 2-storey and attic, crowstepped gabled laird's house; harled rubble with sandstone margins and dressings; boat-shaped dormers.
E (MAIN) ELEVATION: 5 asymmetrical bays to main block, 6th earlier 20th century flat-roofed block to outer right with single storey gabled stable block advanced to E. Door off-centre to left at ground, simple lugged surround; gun-loop immediately to left, gun-loops on 2 stages on right return of advanced outer left block. 2 small windows directly above door, roll-moulded jamb and lintel; small inter-floor window to right of door. 2 loosely spaced bays grouped to right, dormer to left of penultimate bay; windows symmetrically ranged from basement level to 2nd floor, roll-moulded jamb and lintel at centre window; curved round tower bay at corner outer right of main block, gun-loop at ground level, 3 small windows ranged above, very small window under eaves; modern flat-roofed block clasping to outer right. Broad bay to left of door with crowstepped gable breaking eaves, gun-loop at ground right; 2 large windows with chamfered arrises to left at principal, 2nd floor. Broad slightly advanced bay to outer left, dormer at centre. Sympathetic circa 1900 turret by Robert Lorimer in re-entrant angle, deeply moulded corbelling.
S ELEVATION: L-plan, broad, single bay main block to left, narrow gabled jamb advanced to outer right. Windows symmetrically disposed at centre of main block from ground to shaped dormerhead at attic. Narrow window at ground, broad window to principal floor, narrow window off-set to left of centre in jamb; windows symmetrically disposed off-centre to left of left return.
W ELEVATION: originally L-plan, 2-bay main block of broad advanced gable to outer right with block recessed to left; early 20th century infill service bay in re-entrant angle with 2-storey flat-roofed 3-bay block to outer left. Gable blank except for window at right at gablehead; window at principal floor, pedimented window on left return. Block to left with windows symmetrically disposed at centre. 2-bay, single storey, flat-roofed block in re-entrant angle, moulded coping with 3 blind, decorative stone guttering details under coping; narrow door to right, panelled and boarded, fanlight above, window to left. Flat-roofed outer left block, windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor, large window at ground outer left, narrow window to right.
12-pane sash and case windows, 4-pane over 2-pane sash and case, 4-pane small windows, 8-pane over 12-pane sash and case at W. Grey slate roof, stone ridge; harled, coped apex and ridge stacks, thackstanes.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993
STABLES AND STORES: single storey, long, rectangular-plan, crowstepped gable block immediately to W of house, aligned N-S. Harled with polished stone margins and dressings; moulded eaves cornice, decorative guttering under eaves.
E ELEVATION: 10-bay (bays grouped 1-3-3-1-2). Boarded doors, latticed, coloured glass fanlight; 16-pane casement windows; small 6-pane windows.
W ELEVATION: mainly blank wall with window at centre; piended, cement rendered dormerheads symmetrically disposed.
Grey slate roof, crowstepped gables; narrow, coped, rendered stacks to left of apex.
OUTBUILDINGS: long, rectangular-plan, gabled block advanced to E of house at N side forming partial entrance court. Harled with polished stone and concrete dressings and margins; moulded eaves cornice, decorative guttering.
N ELEVATION: 7 near-symmetrical bays; crowstepped, gabled hoist door at centre, half-glazed, boarded hoist door, door and window at ground; 3 bays to left, door and 2 windows, door and window to right.
S ELEVATION: small blind, guttering and niche detailing symmetriaclly disposed under eaves.
Grey slate roof; stone roof ridge; tall modern rendered ridge stack.
E GATEPIERS: directly in front of entrance is original 17th century approach, now overgrown and un-used but still obvious. At the base of the avenue are 17th century gatepiers, coursed stone to E face with corncie, sqaure cap, evidence of finials but no longer evident; large rubble built buttresses at rear.
GATEPIERS: low ashlar corniced gatepiers leading into service area at rear of house; sunken centre panel, ball finial.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low, drystone rubble walls surrounding area of house to S and E. Rubble wall with harl pointing and semicircular coping to W.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.