Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

3-17 ODD NOS BLANTYRE TERRACE 6 ROCHESTER TERRACE AND 4 MERCHISTON AVENUELB26699

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
30/01/1981
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24357 71939
Coordinates
324357, 671939

Description

George Anderson, builder, circa 1879-88. Terrace of eight 2-storey and attic 2-bay houses with 3-storey curved corner tenement to SW; cream sandstone, ashlar front, squared and snecked ashlar rear; ground floor windows pilastered with frieze and cornice; 1st floor windows pilastered segmental-arched in raised panel; moulded cills; eaves cornice and parapet; alternating triangular and segmental pedimented (some lugged) dormers; ashlar mullions and pilasters with moulded capitals; deep set panelled tripartite doors with rectangular plate glass fanlight and narrow sidelights framed by pilasters carrying consoled cornice; tiled vestibule and hall.

NE (MERCHISTON PLACE) ELEVATION: 3-bay over basement with slightly advanced central bay; entrance door in centre approached by oversailing infilled ashlar stair with decorative railing; blocking course above as apron to round-arched 1st floor window with heavy cornice carried on stylised consoles; ashlar dormer with triangular pediment and single window in valley between gables of outer bays; outer bays comprised of single windows to each floor and curvilinear gables with corniced apex stacks (now truncated).

SE (BLANTYRE TERRACE) ELEVATION: Nos 3-15 ground floor band course; string course at 1st floor continuing capitals; each house comprised of full-height canted window in left bay, dormer windows above scroll-flanked at base; entrance door in right bay; single window and dormer above. Exceptions: Nos 11, 13 and 15 mirrored elevations with canted windows to left and entrance doors to right. Nos 3, 5, 15, 13 and 4 Merchiston Place with basement, doors accessed by infilled flight of steps; Nos 3, 5 and 4 finialled pediments. Dormer windows at Nos 7, 9 and 11 breaking parapet as attic. No 17 Blantyre Terrace 6-bay tenement including 2 curved bays turning sharp corner. Curved bays with tripartite windows to left and bipartite dormer above, single windows and dormer to right. 4-bays with blank bay left of centre with pedimented wallhead stack; doorway in central bay with single windows and dormer above; bay to right of centre full-height canted window with bipartite dormer window above; single windows and dormer in bay to outer right.

NW (ROCHESTER TERRACE) ELEVATION: plain ashlar margins; no segmental arches; 3-bay; central pilastered doorway with rectangular plate glass fanlight; single windows to each bay in each floor except in bay right of centre at ground floor level; 1 roof velux. Timber sash and case windows, mostly plate glass glazing, some 4-pane, some sidelights etched or with stained glass border; Scotch and green slate mansard roofs, lead flashings; 1 wallhead (see above) and mutual stacks, octagonal cans; moulded eaves gutters and gutter heads. INTERIOR: not seen 1992. Coped dies terminating flights of steps, ornamental cast-iron railings to Nos 4, 3, 5, 13 and 15.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group with Nos 4-26 Blantyre Terrace, 2 Merchiston Avenue and 1 Mardale Crescent. The scheme seems to have been developed piecemeal by the builder George Anderson, who also signed the drawings. However, on stylistic grounds, the prototype might have been the work of Edward Calvert. The design and detailing is echoed in the terrace opposite.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 17/11/1881 (15 Blantyre Terrace); 20/4/1882 (no address given); PO Directories 1879-88.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 3-17 ODD NOS BLANTYRE TERRACE 6 ROCHESTER TERRACE AND 4 MERCHISTON AVENUE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/10/2021 09:22