Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
East Kilbride
NS 63234 54807
263234, 654807


Later 18th century with later additions. Single storey, irregular-plan toll house. Squared and snecked rubble with stugged ashlar dressings. Base course to W wing; deep eaves; timber bargeboards.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: canted gable to centre: bipartite window on central face (now blocked); single windows on right and left splays (both blocked). Entrance in left re-entrant angle.

N ELEVATION: gable to left with blocked window; smaller window to right also blocked.

E ELEVATION: projecting gable in centre; blind wall to left; single window to right.

S ELEVATION: gable to right with single window; blind outshot to left.

Modern glazing. Grey slate roof; short coped stack to gable head on N elevation; tall coped stack in re-entrant angle on S elevation.

Statement of Special Interest

The building has been incorporated into the NW corner of the garden wall of 11 Graham Avenue. During the late 18th century the road infrastructure was still very basic in East Kilbride. The Stuarts of Torrance provided financial aid to assist with the construction of 2 turnpike roads; one ran from Glasgow to London, passing through Muirkirk, Dumfries and Carlisle, and the other ran from Ayrshire to Edinburgh, by Eaglesham, Blantyre and Hamilton. Graham Avenue runs into Old Coach Road, thus it is probable that it is part of the original 18th century turnpike road. It is also likely that 12 Graham Avenue was one of the new tollhouses built as part of the scheme; the other old tollhouse in East Kilbride is at the crossroads of Old Coach Road and Mains Street. The construction of these tollhouses during the late 1780's was a controversial issue, as a tollhouse already existed further down the road. Opposition to the proposal was published in the local press and James Stuart of Castlemilk sent a newspaper clipping down to Alexander Stuart of Torrance, who was living at Lower Grovesnor Street, London. However, the opposition was clearly unsuccessful.



1st Edition OS Map, 1862; 2nd Edition OS Map, 1898; Stuart Stevenson Papers, MS 8251, National Library of Scotland; D Ure HISTORY OF RUTHERGLEN AND EAST KILBRIDE, 1793, p183; D Adams TOLLHOUSES OF ANGUS DISTRICT, 1985.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 12 GRAHAM AVENUE, FORMER TOLL HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 16:07