Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MAINS ROAD, MAINS CASTLELB26626

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
15/03/1963
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Burgh
East Kilbride
NGR
NS 62788 56041
Coordinates
262788, 656041

Description

Circa 1450; 1970s restoration. 4-storey and caphouse; rectangular-plan tower house. Square stair tower at SE corner giving access to corbelled out parapet; rainwater goods outshoot from parapet wall.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5-stage square stair tower to left with slit windows at 2nd, 3rd and 4th stages; round-arched entrance door to left; tiny slit window to right; single window to right at 3rd and 4th floors. Roof of caphouse visible over parapet with 2 attic dormer windows.

E ELEVATION: blank stair tower; slit windows at 1st, 2nd and 4th floors; crowstepped gable of caphouse visible over parapet.

N ELEVATION: square window at ground to right; square window at 3rd floor to left; window at 4th floor at right. Roof of caphouse visible over parapet.

W ELEVATION: single window at 2nd and 4th floors; crowstepped gable of caphouse visible over parapet.

INTERIOR: restored 1970s in a baronial style. Atmospheric barrel-vaulted dining hall at the ground; spacious hall at 1st floor with Aga and scullery; small stone WC also at 1st floor; bedrooms above - modern painted timber ceiling to principal bedroom; bedroom, small kitchen, office and bathroom with copper bath in attic.

Statement of Special Interest

The lands of Kilbride were originally the property of the Norman family of de Valonis. The nearby farms of East and West Rogerton are named after Roger de Valonis. In the 13th century Isabella de Valonis married David Comyn; the estate along with Kilbride Castle formed part of her dowry. A descent of Isabella and David was 'Red Comyn' who was assassinated by Robert Bruce and his followers. As a forfeit for their relative's treachery, Bruce stripped the Comyns of their lands. The Kilbride lands then passed into the hands of Walter Stewart, who had married Princess Marjorie, Bruce's daughter. In 1382 Robert II granted the lands to John Lindsay of Dunrod, as reward for the loyalty a Lindsay ancestor had shown to Robert I. The Lindsay family moved from their ancestral home to Kilbride Castle. The current castle, Mains Castle, dates from the 15th century and was erected by the Lindsays. The castle remained in the possession of the family until 1619 when Alexander Lindsay, a tyrannical lord who through his misdemeanours was reduced to penury, sold the castle to the Stuarts of Castlemilk. In 1723, the Stuarts removed the roof so that the slates could be used for building work at Torrance House. Twenty years later, a stone bearing the Royal Arms, which had sat above the drawbridge gate at Mains Castle, was taken to Torrance House and set above the entrance door. The castle remained roofless and gradually deteriorated until the 1880s, when it was 'judiciously repaired'. However, it once more fell into disrepair after the roof collapsed during a fierce storm and was not restored until 1976. The restoration of the house won two Saltire awards: one for the best project in restoration and the other for excellence in reconstruction. It is now a private dwelling house. During the 1990s, the surrounding land was transformed into the James Hamilton Heritage Park and the loch, which had been drained as part of agricultural improvements, was reinstated. According to local legend, Mary Queen of Scots may have spent a night at Mains Castle on route to the battle of Langside.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition OS Map, 1862; 2nd Edition OS Map, 1898; MacGibbon & Ross THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND III, 1889, pp231-233; N Tranter FORTALICES AND EARLY MANSIONS IN SOUTHERN SCOTLAND 1400-1650, 1935, pp97-8; M MacDonal EAST KILBRIDE, HISTORY AND GUIDE 1963, pp15-19; T Niven EAST KILBRIDE: THE HISTORY OF PARISH AND VILLAGE 1965, pp12-13; M Rowan MAINS CASTLE - FOR OWNER OCCUPTION in Restoring Scotland's Castles Ed. R Clow 2000, pp145-160; Estate Agents Brochures; further information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MAINS ROAD, MAINS CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/09/2019 13:11