Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

KITTOCH STREET, WEST KIRKLB26618

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/03/1963
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Burgh
East Kilbride
NGR
NS 63446 54657
Coordinates
263446, 654657

Description

John Cairns, 1791; 19th century additions; 1930 church hall. Original building: 2-storey, 5-bay symmetrical square with piended roof.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 1 ? storey round-headed windows in 2nd and 4th bays at ground floor; single windows in 3rd and 5th bays; single storey entrance wing attached at 1st bay; single windows in 1st, 3rd and 5th bays at 1st floor.

ENTRANCE WING: set at oblique angle to main building. Door with bracketed hoodmould and frame to right of S elevation; door in left bay of left return; single windows in central and right bay; blind right return.

SW ELEVATION: door to right of ground floor; large single windows in centre of 1st floor. 1930s church hall attached at rear: irregular fenestration to right; gablehead to left, also with irregular fenestration.

NW ELEVATION: 3 single stained-glass windows at 1st floor; church hall extension: 6 recessed bays all with square single windows, except 1st bay which is blind.

NE ELEVATION: external stair from left of ground floor to centre of 1st floor; single window in right bay at 1st floor. L-plan church hall extension to rear.

INTERIOR: re-orientated seating from SE to NW to NE to SW. U-plan gallery with steel pillars painted blue; timber balcony and seating. Balcony decorated with stencilling in black and gold. Clock in centre of balcony gifted by the Old Parish Church. Ceiling compartmentalised with slender ribs painted blue and gold. Central chandelier new.

Statement of Special Interest

This church was formed in opposition to the appointment of Reverend James French as minister of the Parish Church rather than Reverend David Ure, who had served as assistant minister from 1783. The aggrieved congregation called themselves the 'East Kilbride Congregation of Relief'. On 9th May the 'Congregation of Relief' met to organise a new meeting place by public roup. The contract to build the new meeting house was rouped in the yard of Robert Hamilton, smith in Kirkton. John Cairns, mason, presented the lowest order and received the contract. The total cost of the church was ?900 which was met by the congregation. To this day, the West Kirk is one of the few churches of Scotland that belongs to the congregation rather than the presbytery. During March 1860 the ceiling of the church collapsed and 6 years later the decision was taken to gut the church's interior and reseat it at a cost of ?638-3-4. On 12th June 1792, Reverend James Smith was ordained minister of the new church and the following year a manse was built for him. This manse was sold in 1878 to the Caledonian Railway Company for ?550, because the company needed the land for their new rail line. However, it was a very opportune situation for the congregation too because from 1824 there had been proposals to build a new manse, as the existing one was deemed to be too lowly for a minister. In the event, the Caledonian Railway Company were slow in presenting the money and 2 generous members of the congregation lent the money to build a new manse at 1 Barr Terrace (see separate list description). In 1930, a new church hall was added to the rear of the church on the site of the original manse - the railway line had long since been closed.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition OS Map, 1862; 2nd Edition OS Map, 1898; T Niven EAST KILBRIDE: THE HISTORY OF PARISH AND VILLAGE 1965, p65 & 127; F Mitchell THE WEST KIRK OF EAST KILBRIDE - A BICENTENARY HISTORY 1791-1991, 1990.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KITTOCH STREET, WEST KIRK

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 15:51