Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

STUART STREET, WELLBECK HOUSE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND MEWS COTTAGES NUMBERED 1-4 (INCLUSIVE)LB26616

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/03/1963
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Burgh
East Kilbride
NGR
NS 63724 54484
Coordinates
263724, 654484

Description

1838. 2-storey, 3-bay former manse; single storey bowed wings and rear U-plan court, converted into mews cottages. Squared sandstone. Base course; cornice course; piended roof to main house and wings; gable roof to mews cottages.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: projecting central bay with shallow triangular pediment. Imposing central door frame composed of pilasters, double-depth entablature, projecting cornice and pediment - all painted white. Single window above at 1st floor; single windows at ground and 1st floor flanking central projection; single windows on flanking wings.

SW ELEVATION: bipartite windows on bow of wing; single storey range extends to rear; door in right bay; window flanking; 2 pairs of single windows, square in proportion, to left.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: 1 ? storey, single bay extension harled and painted in centre; single window at ground; door and window above on right return; blind left return. Single windows flank extension at ground floor: window to right has blocked upper half; 3 single windows at 1st floor at regular intervals; small windows flank central window to right. Ranges extend at right and left with blind gable ends. Inside return of right range: single windows in left bay; flanking door; 2 pairs of single windows in centre; entrance door at end. Inside return of left range: single window in right return; flanking door; pair of single windows; single window and door; single window at left.

NE ELEVATION: bipartite windows on bow of wing. Range extending to rear: blocked door in left bay; sequence of 6 windows.

Sash and case glazing; range of 4-pane, 6-pane, 10-pane and 12-pane. Slate roofs to all buildings; large corniced stacks at wallheads of main house with chamfered corners; straight skews to ranges; no stacks.

BOUNDARY WALL: coped rubble wall with cast-iron gate.

Statement of Special Interest

This was built as the manse for the Old Parish Church. It replaced the old manse, Brousterlands (see separate list description), which is now a private dwelling house. Wellbeck House is a very handsome early 19th century villa. It has recently been converted into a residential home for the elderly. The 4 mews cottages and modern flats on the property are also part of the residential complex.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition OS Map, 1862; 2nd Edition OS Map, 1898; B Niven THE OLD PARISH CHURCH MANSES in East Kilbride News, 5th April 2000, p12.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to STUART STREET, WELLBECK HOUSE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND MEWS COTTAGES NUMBERED 1-4 (INCLUSIVE)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 15:43