Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

MONTGOMERY STREET, OLD PARISH CHURCHLB26615

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
15/03/1963
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Burgh
East Kilbride
NGR
NS 63547 54525
Coordinates
263547, 654525

Description

James Pollock, 1776; Robert Pollock, 1818, added tower; William Pomphrey, 1862, added porch to S elevation; 1921 Vestry / War Memorial added. Square plan, piend roof church; 4-stage tower with crown spire. Coursed rubble for church and 1st stage of tower; upper 3 stages of tower, ashlar. Band course at each stage of tower. Raised margins; round-arched doors and windows have keystones and blocks at springing point of arch.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central projecting steeple: round-arched entrance door, with raised margins; timber plaque with date and architect engraved above; oculus above; pointed arched windows at 2nd stage; blind pointed arched windows on returns of 2nd stage; smaller pointed arched windows at 3rd stage; clock on all 4 faces of 4th stage; mock-torelles; half-crenallated cornice; crown spire and weather-vane. Door to left; single window above. Single storey, lean-to war memorial to right: projecting centre with rectangular window with tracery; segmental pediment, with cross at top, above listing names of those lost during WWI; 2 cusped lancets with hoodmoulds on right return; fleur-de-lys and date 1921 between; single window above war memorial.

S ELEVATION: central, single storey, crenallated porch with tripartite window on S face and door on right return; plaque, blind square window and oculus above; large round-arched windows flank at either side; single window in end bays at ground floor; single windows, square in proportion above at 1st floor.

N ELEVATION: round-arched door in centre at ground; blocked openings in outer bays; 3 single windows, square in proportion above.

W ELEVATION: round-arched windows in centre at ground, formerly a door; single windows flanking; 3 single windows, square in proportion above; modern door to left.

Astragal glazing to steeple; small-paned windows to church; some stained glass. Slate roof with fleche.

INTERIOR:

TOWER: wooden steps lead up to each stage; 19th century clock still working: green cast-iron frame and 'gold' cogs; 1881 bell in spire.

ROOF: large flat floor, roof supported by 4 full and 2 half-timber trusses; roof accessed through small opening in upper gallery.

CHURCH: plain interior with wooden pews; pentagonal gallery supported on slender cast-iron colonettes; simple communion furniture; stained glass windows on S front; modern organ.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Old Parish Church Kirkyard. The contract for the church was drawn up on April 1774. The contract was to build a replacement church; the site had been used for Christian worship for almost 1000 years. East Kilbride church was confirmed to the Bishops of Glasgow in 1178, by a bull from Pope Alexander III. The new church cost ?570 and was modelled on Shettleston Parish Kirk; at this point the steeple was only to reach the height of the walls. In 1818, the decision was made to add to the steeple and Robert Pollock was paid ?250 for completing the crown spire. This is an unusual and highly distinctive feature for a parish church; the most famed example of this type is St Giles High Kirk in Edinburgh. The church was re-roofed and repaired in 1838. This coincided with the construction of a new manse for the minister on Strathaven Road. The clock dates from 1818, the same year as the spire was completed. Initially, there were only three clock faces, the W face being blank. However, this was changed in 1927 when an extra clock face was installed. The earliest known bell to have rung in East Kilbride was cast in 1590 by Peter Van den Ghein, who was one of the pre-eminent bellfounders of the 16th century. This bell had to be replaced in 1689; its overuse to celebrate the defeat of Claverhouse at Killiecrankie cracked it. A later bell suffered a similar fate. In 1881, a bell cracked whilst announcing the assassination of the Russian Tsar. The current bell is known as the Hunner Bell and was installed in 1881. It was cast by the Glasgow firm, John C Wilson and Co, and is celebrated in a poem by Alexander Watt: 'Noo mornig and e'ening a heart-heezing knell / Comes melodiously grand from the Hunner Pound Bell'.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition OS Map, 1868; 2nd Edition OS Map, 1898; THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT 1885 p885; M MacDonald EAST KILBRIDE HISTORY AND GUIDE 1963, p35; T Niven EAST KILBRIDE HISTORY OF PARISH AND VILLAGE 1965, pp95-101; F Mitchell THE WEST KIRK OF EAST KILBRIDE - A BICENTENARY ANNIVERSARY 1791-1991, 1990, p14; B Niven EAST KILBRIDE VILLAGE IN 1900 in East Kilbride News, 16th February 2000, p29; further information courtesy of Session Clerk

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MONTGOMERY STREET, OLD PARISH CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 15:39