There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- South Lanarkshire
- Planning Authority
- South Lanarkshire
- East Kilbride
- NS 65222 55804
- 265222, 655804
Early 18th century; early 19th century alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay dwelling house; 1996 converted to museum; single storey and attic range to W. Painted harl; raised margins to main house; squared and snecked rubble to range.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central timber porch; single windows flanking; regular fenestration above; plaque outlining history of house between 1st and 2nd bays at 1st floor. Single storey and attic range extends to W; 3 single windows to right; blind to left; single window in gablehead of left return.
W ELEVATION: adjoining range.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: central tympany gable with blind oculus; irregular pattern and size of fenestration. Double gable extension to range; modern door and windows to right gable; modern windows on returns; skylight windows.
E ELEVATION: single window in left bay at ground; single window in right bay at 1st floor.
12-pane sash and case windows to principal elevation; mix of 12-pane and 2-pane sash and case to rear elevation. Slate roof; crowstepped skews; straight skews to tympany gable; coped rubble stacks at gableheads.
INTERIOR: house converted into a museum; original plan of house altered to create exhibition space, video-rooms and offices.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: pair of stone piers; chamfered plinths; panelled shafts; pyramidal corniced caps. Low rubble wall.
Statement of Special Interest
This house was the birthplace of the famous brothers, William and John Hunter. The estate of Long Calderwood was purchased by their father, a successful grain merchant, in 1717 and it was an estate of 75 acres. A plaque on the front of the house preserves the link between the family and house: 'The birthplace of two great Scotsmen. William Hunter, Born 23 May 1718, Died 30 March 1783 and John Hunter, Born 13 February 1728, Died 16 October 1793, pre-eminent in medicine and in surgery'. Both men left East Kilbride for London and became respected doctors. The respect that John Hunter generated is demonstrated by his burial place - Westminster Abbey. William Hunter became a famed teacher of anatomy; his public lectures were attended by the great men of the day including David Hume and Adam Smith. He also pioneered the study of gynaecology: in 1774 he published 'The Anatomy of the Human Gravid Uterus'. At his death, in 1783, he bequeathed his eclectic collections, which included anatomical specimens, 12,000 books, 6,000 manuscripts, coins and art as well as an ethnographic collection, to Glasgow University. The University built a special museum to house its new possessions: The Hunterian. John Hunter preferred the practical side of medicine and was constantly investigating new avenues. As well as being a pre-eminent surgeon, he was Surgeon Extraordinary to King George III (his elder brother had been Surgeon Extraordinary to Queen Charlotte). In 1771 he published 'A Treatise on the Natural History of Human Teeth' and ten years later was a co-founder of the first Royal Veterinary College. The pride that East Kilbride holds for these two famous sons is evident throughout the town: the Hunter Museum, which was opened in 1996; Hunter Street was renamed during the 19th century to commemorate the brothers; the Hunter Memorial, by Benno Schotz, constructed at Priestknowe Roundabout.
1st Edition OS Map, 1868; 2nd Edition OS Map, 1898; M MacDonald EAST KILBRIDE, HISTORY AND GUIDE 1963, p27; T Niven EAST KILBRIDE THE HISTORY OF PARISH AND VILLAGE 1965, p13; The Hunter Museum.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MAXWELTON ROAD, THE HUNTER MUSEUM (FORMERLY HUNTER HOUSE), INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 19/04/2019 05:55