Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SHAKESPEARE STREET, TOWERS OF OLD ST ANDREWS CATHEDRALLB26342

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
06/03/1981
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Burgh
Dumfries
NGR
NX 97459 76086
Coordinates
297459, 576086

Description

2 broadly similar Romanesque towers, now free-standing,

remains of pro-cathedral burnt 1961. Both towers are

square-plan, W-facing and with round-arched doors, openings

and recessed panels, clasping pilaster strips, louvred

bipartite belfry in each top stage; some arcaded corbel tables.

Red ashlar, exposed rubble where church formerly adjoined.

North tower: "designed by the Honourable Marmaduke C Maxwell

of Terregles" (MacDowall); built 1843, together with

(demolished) school; 4 stages, pair tall round-arched panels

in 3rd stage. Shallow-pitched and slated pyramidal capping

suggests original intention to add spire.

South tower: by John H Bell (? of Dumfries), and built by

1858 when lucarned tall Gothic broach spire (135' high

excluding 12' cross finial) was added by Alexander Fraser

of Dumfries. Tower has 3 tall stages; modern sculpture of

St Andrew on E face.

Some fragments of church walling also survive.

Statement of Special Interest

No longer in ecclesiastical use. Original building 1811.

Transepts and domed aisle added 1871-2; interior decorated

with "arabesque designs", 1879. Marmaduke C Maxwell is not

otherwise known as a gentleman architect, and the N tower is

unlikely to be entirely his design.

References

Bibliography

MacDowall, GUIDE TO DUMFRIES, 1860, p. 45. MacDowall, HISTORY

OF DUMFRIES, 1867, p. 818.

Groome, GAZETTEER, n.d. (2nd ed), Vol II, p. 392.

Dickie, DUMFRIES, n.d. (3rd ed), p. 117.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SHAKESPEARE STREET, TOWERS OF OLD ST ANDREWS CATHEDRAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/01/2020 14:06