Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ST MICHAEL'S CHURCHYARD AND MAIN GATE AND HOLY CROSS CHURCHYARDLB26336

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
11/07/1961
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Burgh
Dumfries
NGR
NX 97545 75699
Coordinates
297545, 575699

Description

Irregular-plan enclosure containing church, Burns' mausoleum

and major series of fine monuments, mostly 18th and 19th

century. Gate at NW, tall pilastered and urn-finialled

painted ashlar piers perhaps mid 18th century and with watch

houses contained within; wrought-iron gates and over-throw.

Rubble-built enclosure walls. Very grand vigorous baroque

Sharp of Hoddom monument circa 1710 (restored 1894); martyr's

slabs and 1834 granite obelisk monument inscribed "A Newall".

Many tall upright slabs; Hood family monuments by Walter

Newall. Cholera epidemic enclosure. Holy Cross churchyard

and chapel.

Statement of Special Interest

Sharp of Hoddom monument compares with the Smith's monument for

the 3rd Duke of Hamilton, 1696 (see also Christie's sale

Catalogue 13-14th Dec 1984, lot 255). Loudon drew attention

to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dumfries as important examples of

cemeteries with fine upright monuments. He also advertised

the qualities of locally made monuments together with freight

charges for their transportation.

References

Bibliography

W MacDowall, MEMORIALS OF ST MICHAEL'S 1876. J S Curle in

GARDEN HISTORY, Vol II, No 2, 1983 (paper on J C Loudon)

GARDENER'S MAGAZINE Vol VII (1831), p. 529, (illus of Newall's

Hood monuments).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST MICHAEL'S CHURCHYARD AND MAIN GATE AND HOLY CROSS CHURCHYARD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 19:45