Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

HILL OF TARVIT HOUSE, TERRACED GARDEN, WALLED GARDENLB2628

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
01/03/1984
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Cupar
NGR
NO 37894 11860
Coordinates
337894, 711860

Description

Sir Robert Lorimer 1905-7 substantial remodelling of 1696 house (possibly by Sir William Bruce). Lorimer wrapped a classically designed range round the side and front elevations of the Bruce house, incorporating the Victorian rear wings for service blocks, the whole harled with ashlar chanelled dressings. Entrance elevation (west)

2 storeys with projecting single storey smoking room wing to north, canted bay to drawing room at south, arcaded loggia forming porch. GARDEN FRONT: 5 bays flanked by projecting wings bowed to the south; long sash windows to ground, sundial and shell niche with figure above central window. Multi-pane sashes, hipped slate roofs.

INTERIOR: hall: 1906 on lintel to chimney piece, panelled with coffered ceiling in Baronial manner; drawing room: French 18th century detail to plaster decoration and woodwork; dining room; late 17th century ceiling and pilaster details; room: incorporates chimney piece dated 1627; stair

hall: stairs with bold twisted balusters and melon caps to newels. Detailing to 1st floor rooms simpler. Terraced garden with wide balustraded steps leading to lowest level. Walled garden to north with gatepiers topped by swagged urns by Sir Robert Lorimer and wrought iron gates by Thomas Hadden in north wall.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly known as Wemyss Hall. Remodelled for F B Sharp. Interior designed in specific period styles to suit Mr Sharp's collection. In the possession of the National Trust for Scotland.

References

Bibliography

Savage: LORIMER AND THE EDINBURGH CRAFT DESIGNERS, 1980, pp101-3; illus, 199-206.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HILL OF TARVIT HOUSE, TERRACED GARDEN, WALLED GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/05/2019 23:01