Earlier 18th century. Baroque 2-storey 5-bay town house
with piended shallow-recessed flanking bays (these with
simpler detailing, but seemingly original); raised basement
and attic to Whitesands (W); minor low additions. Set back
from Irish Street behind high garden wall. Renovated by
J M Bowie, 1923. Built of brick with ashlar dressings,
lugged and keystoned architraves and rusticated quoins;
mostly painted, except at W. E elevation: central
rusticated doorway, ashlar shallow-raised panel over linked
to window cill above, 1st floor windows are roughly square
and have bracketted cills; lintels linked to eaves band.
Small-paned sash windows with vertical glazing pattern.
Main cornice; skews; corniced brick end stacks; slated
roof, slightly bell-cast. Low addition linked to recessed
bay right built of painted droved ashlar and with bowed
S-facing bay. W elevation: basement is rubble-built
(containing single long barrel-vaulted room) and with early
steep-gabled central porch (?by Bowie, 1923) built of red
ashlar, stair window above between floors. Plain margined
windows; 2 bipartite dormers.
Interior: some good fielded panelling survives; timber
stair; cornice plasterwork.
Courtyard to W flanked by 2 low outbuildings, screen wall
with central gate to Whitesands, corniced square piers with