Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CHURCH CRESCENT, GREYFRIARS' CHURCHLB26126

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
11/07/1961
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Burgh
Dumfries
NGR
NX 97124 76302
Coordinates
297124, 576302

Description

John Starforth, 1866-8. Decorated gothic church. Complex

plan and roof-lines, basically T-plan with subsidiary

elements filling angles; buttressed 4-stage square

entrance tower, with steeples, abuts jamb at S. Snecked

bull-faced red ashlar with polished dressings; pointed

openings, some with curvilinear tracery; some

richly-sculptured detail.

Tower: double doorway with trumeau, figure in carved

tympanum, ogee hood-mould rising into blank arcading;

belfry stage with 3 traceried lights within overarch,

lucarned stone broach spire. Curved, buttressed and

pinnacled stair turrets flank tower angles, tall crocketted

pinnacles at junction of main roof. Steep-pitched canted

gables in re-entrant angles with traceried ground

floor windows; central door in E and W gables. Slated

principal and subordinate roofs, pavilion-roofed bays to

E and to W with iron brattishing.

Partly enclosed by red ashlar walls with iron railings.

Interior: richly detailed; 3 galleries, supported on

clustered cast-iron columns; open timbered roof on stone

corbels (some sculptured) and with stencilled ornament;

tiered panelled reredos incorporating organ (presented

1873); leaded windows - artists include, Powell brothers,

Leeds, circa 1882, James Ballantine & Son, Camm

brothers, 1879, L C Levetts, 1970. Lectern probably by

Starforth.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. On site of James Smith and Alexander MacGill's 1724 New Church, itself built

on site of Dumfries castle. A group with 75-83 Buccleuch

Street and Castle Street. Spire height given as 164' and

as 180' in references.

References

Bibliography

W Dickie, GUIDE TO DUMFRIES, n.d. (3rd ed.) p.92

G. Reid, THE BOOK OF GREYFRIARS, 1927 (bicentenary volume)

Groome, GAZETTEER, n.d. (2nd ed.)

vol II p.392

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CHURCH CRESCENT, GREYFRIARS' CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 06:09