T F Hunt of London, 1817, James Thomson of Dumfries as
Interior: presumably 1848): unusual gallery, treated as
executant architect. Built as Episcopal church, with
giant tetrastyle Ionic portico to Buccleuch Street.
Painted ashlar. 2 storeys, rusticated at ground; single
bays flank portico; 3-bay elevation to Castle Street
altered 1848 with full-height 5-sided pilastered apse
central, with tall round-headed lights; flanking
round-headed bipartites at gallery level with consoled
cornices (perhaps altered 1848). Cornice; tall parapet,
balustraded over openings; concealed roof with
small-paned circular lantern. Some decorative cast-iron
entablature, and supported on cast-iron columns; ribbed
dome below lantern. Seating and pulpit now removed.
Statement of Special Interest
No longer (1986) in ecclesiastical use. A Group with 75-81
Buccleuch Street, Greyfriars Church and Castle Street and
George Street listings. Sketch by W C Aitken (copy in NMRS)
shows church before alterations, with recessed inner bay to
Castle Street, blank at lower level, gallery window
(?tripartite) with consoled cornice under arched head.
Re-opened 21.11.1848 following alterations.